BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I posted this question on the New Member forum but received no responses, so I will ask it of each of you, hoping to have better luck.

There is a round rocker switch with "on/off" printed upon it. It is on the underside of the climate control console on the driver's side. It's not easily seen from the driver's seat unless you bend down. I found it by feeling under the dashboard, as I didn't see it. I've read through the owner's manual several times, but have not found any mention of the purpose or the existence of this switch. If you can give me any help on this I would appreciate it.
Kirk

·
Registered
169 Posts
It may also be the ESA, [Ejection Seat Actuator] installed on some Euro models that made it to the states. Seemed some were being used in the eastern block and it became very popular.:rofl:
NOW, seriously never have seen this. YOU may have something special...maybe a battery cut-off anti-theft thingy??

·
is a Texan
1,400 Posts
+1 on pictures. My random guess might be a garage door opener button....but could definitely be the rear oil slick sprayer.

·
///M 'n it up!
1,738 Posts
I bet its something to do with an after market alarm or auto-starter.

I installed a switch, under the dash of my old '96 Honda Accord, that enabled a custom relay logic circuit that would start the car when the driver's seat belt was buckled. And before you get all shocked and horrified, think about it... What thief is going to buckle-up before they do a hot wire?

I sawed off a copy of the key so that it was just long enough to stick out of the cylinder, but shallow enough not to be noticed. That defeated the steering lock. The relay circuit also disabled the cylinder's affect on accessory and ignition lines; so the car couldn't be started with a key, and the battery wasn't drained.

The switch was hidden WAY WAY WAY up under the dash. Switching it on enabled the custom circuit. Switching it off put everything back to normal.

Someone somewhere is driving an Accord with a terrible secret :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.