BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Bimmer lovers!

I am considering maybe not doing a custom order, as I do not want to wait - nor do I want to have to pay more with the increase June 1/08.

There is a Z4 on the lot that has all the features I want, except for the NAVI. So I guess I am wondering if I should buy this one on the lot, or is it worth it to pay the extra for the custom and BWM's NAVI?

2 Questions:

1) Do you like the NAVI that comes with the Z4 (if you have this feature)? And is it worth the money?

2) If you do not have the factory NAVI and have a portable NAVI, which model do you have and what size do you have that fits the Z4?

Thx in advance for your help! :eek:)

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
It will help to know if you currently have a portable nav unit or a factory nav unit in another car of yours?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine works fine. Worth every invoice penny.
Everything in the car is based on that screen.
Phone,audio, OBC, NAV etc.
i'm glad you like it, maybe i'm just not a fan of bmw navi. there is something to be said about the integration you get w/ factory nav, but its still a poor implementation IMO compared to lets say lexus or acura

·
Registered
181 Posts
Garmin Nuvi 660 for me. The Blutooth is not as good as the factories probably is but you can buy them now for $3-400. GH

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wingspan - I do not have a NAVI in my SUV, but I would like to get one for the Z4 I am about to purchase - which is why I wanted to know others opinions about factory for the Z4 or to get a portable. :eek:)

SystemR - What Garmin screen size are you using for your Z4? I am considering the 7" or 5.2" - unless that would be too big. This is of course IF I decide not to custom order my Z4, and go with the one on the local lot.

Ron - when you say audio, does this include HDR, and iPOD? I've been looking for screen shots of the NAVI for the Z4, other than the 1 on the BMW site. Do you know of a site with more details on the NAVI that comes with the Z4?

Thx again! :eek:)

·
Registered
660 Posts
I purposely chose against the BMW Navi as I felt it was quite crude and also I didn't want the screen popping up every time I used the radio (maybe there's a setting so that won't happen).

For nav I use Telenav over my Black Berry from AT&T for $10.month. I know Verison has a similar plan, but I have never used it.

EB

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
I purposely chose against the BMW Navi as I felt it was quite crude and also I didn't want the screen popping up every time I used the radio (maybe there's a setting so that won't happen).
EB
There is a software fix for that.

Mine is always open normally on the OBC screen, Sirius etc.. and NAV.
And recently with the front and rear cameras.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have 2 Garmins and my factory nav. I like the integration with the stereo, dsp, blue tooth, Car computer and etc... but the navigation is pretty basic. Frankly, I think the Nuvi 660 whips the factory GPS in almost every regard- except (dead reckoning) which is important. If you live in a city like me (Chicago) where there are tall buildings, the Garmin will struggle to aquire/keep satellite lock. The factory GPS with dead reckoning keeps working while it loses the satellite signal.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Love the OEM nav. Retrofitted it in my previous Z, it is much quicker in route planning then the TomTom I have, the voice volume goes up with the speed of the car, my Intravee iPod interface is on it, extra board computer functions are on it, telephone, BMW Assist.

Also, it does not get nicked from the car like the portable ones

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mine works fine. Worth every invoice penny.
Everything in the car is based on that screen.
Phone,audio, OBC, NAV etc.
My neighbor's $149 NUVI 200 blows my X3's nav away--get a portable with BT for about $400-- BTW....BMW wants $200 for upgrades. First $1800 for the factory nav then a year later $200 to upgrade???--and the BMW BT is a hit and miss system.. I am looking for portables for my Z4 now..actually I find nothing in the X3 "worth the money":dunno:----now my Z4--well thats another story. :thumbup:

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
I have 2 Garmins and my factory nav. I like the integration with the stereo, dsp, blue tooth, Car computer and etc... but the navigation is pretty basic. Frankly, I think the Nuvi 660 whips the factory GPS in almost every regard- except (dead reckoning) which is important. If you live in a city like me (Chicago) where there are tall buildings, the Garmin will struggle to aquire/keep satellite lock. The factory GPS with dead reckoning keeps working while it loses the satellite signal.

Hope that helps.
Good point.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Burt - I live in Denver, and I am in the city a lot - so I guess I should consider the factory NAVI. Thank you to all who have taken the time to post your experience/opinion. :eek:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I didn't have the BMW Navigation unit in my 2002 Z3, so I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350. The navigation is very good & I've used it on 3 cars & two motorcycles.

Lastly, I just returned from a trip abroad to the south of France, where the Nuvi did a fine job in getting me from chateau to vineyard to a friend's home along many secondary roads without an error.

For me, it's simple, the Nuvi for flexibility of use.

Fred

·
Registered
806 Posts
Lastly, I just returned from a trip abroad to the south of France, where the Nuvi did a fine job in getting me from chateau to vineyard to a friend's home along many secondary roads without an error.
For me, it's simple, the Nuvi for flexibility of use.

Fred
Can't do that with the factory unit--:)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Burt - I live in Denver, and I am in the city a lot - so I guess I should consider the factory NAVI. Thank you to all who have taken the time to post your experience/opinion. :eek:)
Or borrow or buy a portable unit and try it in the city--if it don't work then take it back..that $1800 you won't spend on the nav could buy something you can really use. :thumbup:--The way I look at it is that for what BMW wants for just the nav upgrade ($200) you can buy a portable GPS..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts