BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Marathon Swimmer
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't be more excited to join the Bimmer Family after 15 MB years! Love my new Z4 IS! Any suggestions on the best rear wind screen and where to get it?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to when I can help someone on this forum from what I can learn; did I mention I Love my new Z4:)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Z4 Wind Screen

I have a 14 Z4 IS. It came with the fabric wind screen. I feel it greatly reduces visibility.
I ordered one of the large plexiglas screens but don't use it because I don't like how it attaches to the roll hoops and it's big and bulky. I would like to find a plexiglas screen with the same frame as the fabric screen so it fits between roll hoops and uses the same connection points.

There was an earlier posting with instructions on replacing the fabric with plexigas. I haven't taken the time to try it. I'm not ready to tear apart the perfectly good fabric screen.

I continue to drive with no wind screen.

·
Marathon Swimmer
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I don't like the fabric screen either, and I've seen pictures of that bulky Plexiglas too, it looks ridiculous. I'm looking for either a BMW or aftermarket that would slide right in as the fabric one does.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dont mind the OEM screen that much. I do remove it when the top is up. Top down I just depend on the side mirrors more for visibility. Wish you many happy drives with the IS

·
Registered
848 Posts
My fabric windscreen is in all the time and I really can't say that it reduces visibility all that much. To be truthful, I would think any kind of glass/plexiglas windscreen would cause a buffeting affect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
check out windrestrictor. I've had it for 4 yrs love it.

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm out of town but can look for the vendor when I get back. That link looks exactly like it and similar price... I love it but need to figure out how to clean it. I remember the instructions said you can't use Windex.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks brother. My biggest and final concern is that the whole thing held in place by two double-sided tape. Doesn't seem sturdy and could fly off eventually by the wind force and hit the cars behind. Is my fear unfounded?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was freaked out by that too when I opened the box. Plus, the ends with the tape are flat and are attached to the rounded roll bar. But, once it was all together, it is solid as a rock. I've had it for about six months with zero problems other than forgeting that it is there when I try to put my arm back there when reversing. You can get them etched as well but I didn't want to impair my vision.

·
Registered
848 Posts
If it's just held in with double-sided tape I would imagine when inserting the "glass" it would act as a wedge to help hold everything in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
BMW Lover Since 1972
146 Posts
Wind Noise or Buffetting?

I was freaked out by that too when I opened the box. Plus, the ends with the tape are flat and are attached to the rounded roll bar. But, once it was all together, it is solid as a rock. I've had it for about six months with zero problems other than forgeting that it is there when I try to put my arm back there when reversing. You can get them etched as well but I didn't want to impair my vision.
Since there are no holes in the Plexiglas, does the "window" rattle or shake or make noise when you're driving on the hiway?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally back in town and I found the website where I purchased the windscreen in the pictures above. It is from http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page69.html

12thBMW, the mounts are actually hard foam so it doesn't make any noise at all... it is a VERY tight fit so it doesn't shake either. They don't recommend taking it in and out, but rather leaving it installed which makes me wonder how I'm going to clean my back window if needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts