BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that the Z4 family is noteworthy for it's quality and low repair record. This, of course, does not reflect the issue of the top motor. I wonder what everyone thinks about this. I have a 2.5 in Florida and a 3.0 in Maine. Both have been well maintained and have required only modest repair, again ignoring the top motor issue.

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Outside the top motor my '06 3.0si has been rock solid, and it's lived a hard life. Autocross, track days, Florida heat, no issues.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've done four things in my ownership ( I bought my 06 at 66,000 miles). New starter, renew valve cover gasket, replaced AC compressor and a new convertible motor. I love the car and will drive until 250,000 mile.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Z4 repairs

I replaced the starter and expansion tank on my 2.5 (purchased new) now with 70K miles.

No unscheduled repairs on my 3.0. Purchased used - 38000 miles. Now with 58000.

Not bad for 15 year old cars.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's what I've had to do on my 2007 M Coupe, which I picked up at the factory in May of 2007:

04/08 replace driver's cup holder x2 (warranty)
04/09 replace pressure line for power steering (warranty)
04/15 replace windshield washer pump
04/16 replace thermostat
05/17 replace DSC hydraulic unit and control unit (this was EXPENSIVE)
04/18 Replace alternator, replace radiator cap

Other than that, it has just been regular fluid changes, tires, alignments, etc.: all the consumables that go along with owning any car (albeit more expensive for an M).

All things considered, and despite the pricey DSC work, it has not been a terribly expensive car to own, especially given the nature of the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, those cup holders are terrible. The only reason I haven***8217;t been through 20+ of them by now is that I just stopped using them back in ***8216;08.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Top motor, starter, expansion tank, alternator, valve cover and oil housing gaskets, water pump, thermostat, left front fender, front grill, 4 rotors, brakes, 4 Bilstein shocks. Bought the car for a song, it was wrecked in front, and not running with 120k on it.
A long list, but it was a fun rescue--all easy stuff except the top motor (more tedious than difficult). Looks and runs like a dream now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My experience

Purchased my '03 3.0i in July, 2015 with 86K on the clock. It has since just cracked 100K and I've been pleased with the reliability, except that I am now the victim of the top motor issue which hit last June. I've been manually raising and lowering the top since then (it's really not that big of a deal).

I've done all the usual stuff.
Replaced the valve cover gasket, starter, front struts, rear springs and shocks. Front fascia and skid plate replaced after encounter with a high curb. Added aux port and blue tooth transceiver.

Still needs:
Control arm bushings, oil filter housing gasket, plugs and coils, top motor.

All-in-all, it has been a fine car. Considering its age, I've been pleased. We love this car and the plan is to keep it forever, although we may add a newer one to the stable someday. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cup holder

I read somewhere that the ++$$$###@@&& cupholder was put in the car for the American market only.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is a cupholder that is stamped Stainless Steel, it sits on the floor with a tang that goes up under the plastic cover for the console that keeps it in place. Lower, not subject to as much spilling, use it every day. Wish I knew the name, at work now so no access to my home computer with the receipt.

2007 Z4M coupe, purchased in 2010 with 30,000 miles, at 148,00 now. Vanos and alternator under warranty (thank the Lord). Not much else except regular maintenance (brakes aint cheap particularly since you have to replace the rotors), I am monitoring my oil every change looking for that copper that means new rod bearings, but the lead has gone way down since I started partially warming the car up at idle before driving off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
03, 2.5, 74K, bought new, trouble free until this year. New starter and fuel pump, brakes and tires are just normal expenses.
My top goes down in the spring, and up in the fall, in the garage 6 months of the year (winter around here)
Looks like new, now drives like new, looking at it, it's hard to tell it's 17 years old.

·
Registered
492 Posts
In the 10 years (40k-107k mi) that I have owned my 2003 2.5i sport, there have really been no problems until recently. It was rock solid for years.

I did go above and beyond on maintenance/preventive measures. I have proactively:

*Changed the oil 5000mi or ever year. I don't really drive it that much. ~60k mi in 10 years.

*Yearly tune up (plugs, oil, filters, fluids)

*Proactively changing the Differential and manual gearbox fluids. I know some of those are supposed to be "lifetime" fluids... I don't care. I change them regardless.

*Monitor tire condition. No spare means more care.

The bad things that have happened:

*The coolant expansion tank failed, seemingly out of nowhere. (Its dang plastic)

*Oil filter mount/housing gastket at 101000k mi

*Soft top motor failed at 100000k mi

*Starter failed build it have warnings, weak starts. Totally easy DIY

*Normal blub failures due to age and use

*Red Vinyl seat discoloration, 107000 mi

*Wood interior trim bits developing cracks

No other issues in 10 years. Fantastic car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 2007 with 174,000. It is my daily driver and is garage kept. It has treated me very well for the past 13 years. I had to replace to Convertible motor last year. The expansion tank needed to be replaced and some seals and gaskets--- but, hell, it's 13 years old and still looks new and I continue to get compliments. It is an amazing car. This site is very helpful for maintenance and troubleshooting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts