BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Z4 is taking longer to start. It turns over, but takes a few more seconds than usual and the time seems to be increasing. Seems like the problem is with the starter? My question is, should I replace it before it goes out completely? Not sure how long it has left and don't want to be stranded. I'd like to have time to order the part before I take it to the mechanic. Would it be the starter motor or the ignition?

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,177 Posts
My 2008 Z4 is taking longer to start... It turns over, but takes a few more seconds than usual and the time seems to be increasing... Seems like the problem is with the starter? My question is, should I replace it before it goes out completely?... I'd like to have time to order the part before I take it to the mechanic. Would it be the starter motor or the ignition?
There is the starter motor and the solenoid that throws its gear into the flywheel gear. They don't fail by becoming slow. Slower starting sounds like a weakening battery, probably caused by a charging problem.
A starter motor is expensive, and it is hard to install with a high labor rate. Look to the charging system and battery first.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My 2008 Z4 is taking longer to start. It turns over, but takes a few more seconds than usual and the time seems to be increasing. Seems like the problem is with the starter? My question is, should I replace it before it goes out completely? Not sure how long it has left and don't want to be stranded. I'd like to have time to order the part before I take it to the mechanic. Would it be the starter motor or the ignition?
If you are still on the original battery I would start there. 4-5yrs of life is pretty normal for a Z4. I would try a local auto parts store, or Walmart. Usually a lot cheaper than the dealership. Should be less than $150.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agree

I agree, starters and alternators dont fail by running slowly. I would start with checking the battery and the alternator output. Even if both these are fine, constant short trips can run the battery down. If not, next I would check fuel pressure. Delay in building up fuel pressure might lead to a slow start too.

·
Registered
492 Posts
the battery is going, probably... i had a similar problem. went to the dealer and got a fresh battery. problem solved. i was going to use a battery from the auto parts store but, ran the numbers and considered fitment... worked out cheaper to just go to the dealer.

I found that the factory z4 exide battery has a little light on it that tell you it's time to trash the battery. yours may have it as well.

see here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699219

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you are still on the original battery I would start there. 4-5yrs of life is pretty normal for a Z4. I would try a local auto parts store, or Walmart. Usually a lot cheaper than the dealership. Should be less than $150.
i got m new battery from getbmwparts actual dealer location (bmw of silverspring md) for $128 the auto parts store had some big ugly battery for $149

1 - 6 of 6 Posts