Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of doing some cooling system work on my 2003 Z4 3.0. I've removed the expansion tank and drained the coolant from the radiator and the block.

Now on to the thermostat. I realize there are 4 bolts holding it on, but I can barely see them. The metal "bulkhead" in front of the thermostat doesn't give me much room to work. Do you need to remove the electric fan to have enough access through the holes in the bulkhead?

I've seen numerous E46 instructions posted online, but the access is far better than the z4.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Dr.BMW
386 Posts
just wait till you have to change the water pump :D

you have to jack the engine up to get the stupid snout to clear the sheetmetal core support :D

get to it, its there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I didn't jack up the engine to change the thermostat, and I can't remember if I removed the fan. Be careful - that fan is like $600. Remember to vent the system when you're done and purge the air. I read somewhere that it's self-venting... maybe it is, but only with very small pockets of air.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Underway on Nuclear Power
1,131 Posts
The fan comes out in less than three minutes. One torx screw and one plastic push pin. Remove the electrical connector and lift straight up. This should give you some more room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts