BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, great forum and thanks for the help. I recently replaced the top motor in my Z4 thanks to the guides I found on here. Everything worked reasonably well except for a flashing red light after the top down sequence was finished. In other words, the top lowered, top locks, windows return up to normal and the lights go off. Then as soon as you start to move, the red light flashes. I just decided to forget the light since everything was working.Top raises and locks just fine.

Now recent problem. When lowering the top, I can hear the top lock latches release and the top comes up the inch or so out of the windshield. The motor to lower the top engages and sounds like a small struggle and the top won't move. Now if I reach up and push up so the top clears the windshield, the top snaps up,retracts, and sure enough lowers, locks and is fine. Raises and seals just fine as well. It "appears" that when the release is happening on the windshield, the hooks are released but kind of getting stuck while the top is trying to pull back rather then up. In other words, it looks as though it needs a bit of adjustment forward. However, I don't have a clue where to start. The "hoop" in the trunk appears as though all bolts are connected correctly so where else can I adjust? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would see if the rollers on the latch point actually "roll/turn"... Having been lubricated...Just to make sure.

On the top up latch/light flashing after driving off... Stop and re press top up button until it stops flashing. Curious if that will clear issue however...Wonder if when you changed hydro/electric motor you lost too much of the hydraulic oil changing the hydraulic lines. Other than that haven't anymore suggestions on this issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rollers are a bit sticky when rolling... I'll lubricate them again. Suggestions on lubricant type?

The light when driving only happens with the top down. Sequence completes .. No lights .. Then flashing light turns on as soon as I move. When the top is up... No lights at all.

I don't " think" I lost fluid when I replaced the motor. I cycled the top while out of the car and sound housing and the level looked ok.

Appreciate the suggestions. Was also thinking ..is there any adjustment at the mount points ( the two screws behind the drivers seat and passenger seat) where the top assembly bolts to the car body? Also I am assuming the hoop bolts are to be tight to the car body as well right?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had that red light come on again after lowering the top as well... I would repress the down button again at the first red light and it would go away... I would check your top shelf in the trunk to ensure that the shelf/knobs to raise/lower are in their proper position. There is also the centre switch on the rear bulkhead... Ensure that the little silver lever isn't loose...

Year of your car isn't mentioned. Preface lift cars had a latch as part of the securing mechanism for the top when down.... I also noticed that at times when the red light was lite... Pushing down to ensure the latch was engaged fixed the light issue... I then checked/shelf/switches as above to see if the problem was there. I did fix my centre bulkhead switch... Just can't remember now at what point... That was 2 years ago.

As for lubricant...use graphite based.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts