Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my E85 2003 Z4 there is a panel just below the rear glass (when the top is up of course) that runs the width of the top . After 17 years it sure needs a cleaning but I can't figure out how to get to it.Maybe through the trunk? Anybody out there know?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think you are referring to the parcel shelf (although that is a misnomer since you can't put parcels on it). Primarily it is there to block anyone from seeing into your trunk from the outside. Some say the panel also blocks road noise from being transmitted into the car, but it's a pretty flimsy piece of plastic and I cannot tell any difference without it..

Working in the trunk, there are clips on the underside of the shelf that pop out and allow you to remove it. Once out, it will also allow you to clean the rear window. The clips are a bit tricky to reinstall but there are some helpful threads on the subject.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I removed my wind deflector and with the top up vacuumed it reaching in from the inside of the car. Made sure not to kneel on passenger side seat so as to not damage the sensor mat.

It worked well enough for me...

Removing shelf is probably the gold standard but removing/installing can be a bi*ch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts