BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv got z4 2.5 sport auto 53 reg went to start to go out today but it don't turn over bat ok all lights on dash board ok but it won't turn over like if starter motor dead I was just wondering if there was any common easy answers b4 I start removing starter thanks

·
C code: 405/3
876 Posts
Try a jump start and see what happens. Maybe your battery has too little power to turn over the starter but just enough to make the lights work.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Z4 2003

Same problem : I turn the key and other than the indicator lights coming on, nothing else happens - no clicking, no turning over of engine, nothing. (the battery was verified good).

I also tried jump starting it, and also tried leaving the key in position 2 for a minute
to allow the gasoline to be pumped in - nothing

Any suggestions ?
Thanks

Michael

·
Banned
25 Posts
Z4 2003

I was thinking it is a brake sensor switch (?) or something related to that because the 'non -start' issue is behaving as if I'm not pressing the brake pedal prior to turning the key.

Can anyone tell me where the switch or sensor is located ? Is it somewhere on the actual brake pedal ? I will look around.

Any other possibilities ?
Thanks very much

Michael

·
BE IRIE
885 Posts
Brake switch has nothing to so with engined start.

Do you have an oem alarm? Is it completely disabled? Used to happen to me when I didn't completely disable my alarm.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Great suggestions, i'll try another key.

Regarding the brake switch, isn't that related to having to press the brake to start the car ?
If not, then what sensor tells the car you're stepping on the brake ?

Thanks all.
Michael

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same problem : I turn the key and other than the indicator lights coming on, nothing else happens - no clicking, no turning over of engine, nothing. (the battery was verified good).

I also tried jump starting it, and also tried leaving the key in position 2 for a minute
to allow the gasoline to be pumped in - nothing

Any suggestions ?
Thanks

Michael
Sorry bout your probs with ur car mate the problem with mine is the starter had died to test ur starter get a multimeter and put black to earth and put red onto main red wire on top of starter then get someone to crank car over and if u get 12 volt supply at starter then all electric systems are working ok and the starter is stuck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry bout your probs with ur car mate the problem with mine is the starter had died to test ur starter get a multimeter and put black to earth and put red onto main red wire on top of starter then get someone to crank car over and if u get 12 volt supply at starter then all electric systems are working ok and the starter is stuck

·
Banned
25 Posts
I will try the starter as you suggest.

But is that still the case for me because as I said, other than the indicator lights coming on, I get nothing related to ignition - no click, no engine turnover.

I do hear something though, I believe someone said it's the hydraulic pumps loading up
in order to be able to shift the gears.

Thank you for your suggestion.... I will keep everyone informed as to the resolution, I
have a mechanic coming over tomorrow with the diagnostic tools.

Michael, Baguio, Philippines

·
Banned
25 Posts
This is what i've tried so far : another key, jump start, the switch related to changing the gears, the brake switch, battery is ok.

Still, the car won't start, won't even turn over.

Michael

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try the starter as you suggest.

But is that still the case for me because as I said, other than the indicator lights coming on, I get nothing related to ignition - no click, no engine turnover.

I do hear something though, I believe someone said it's the hydraulic pumps loading up
in order to be able to shift the gears.

Thank you for your suggestion.... I will keep everyone informed as to the resolution, I
have a mechanic coming over tomorrow with the diagnostic tools.

Michael, Baguio, Philippines
When you turn key to position 2 do all your check lights come on as normal if not I would say it your battery

·
Banned
25 Posts
Well, the mechanic/friend came to my house, connected up the diagnostic computer, cleared some error codes and the car is running like normal.

Anyway, thanks all for your suggestions, I did try most of them...

Amazing.

Michael

·
Banned
25 Posts
Hey no one is more happy than I that my car works again....
Thing is, I'm a little paranoid now, maybe it'll happen somewhere less convenient
than at my home....

Glad for all of the suggestions though, I'm learning more and more about this car.
Thanks all.

Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts