BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

I have been having an intermittent problem that is absolutely driving me crazy. For about the past week, when driving with headlight on, in either "auto" mode, or "on" mode, the low beams flash to high beams, just for a second or two. A few times, they have started flashing from high to low beam like strobe lights, often hundreds, or seemingly thousands, of times per minute. The car is absolutely 100% undriveable at night at this point.

Here is the weird part: the high beam indicator does not come on when this is happening. I believe it to be part of the actuator that control the bi-xenons, and not something in the headlight switch. I took the car to Global Imports here in Atlanta, but after driving it for more than an hour, they could not replicate the problem (of course, as it is intermittent).

I am aware of a similar problem with E46 xenon cars, but this car did not store a fault code, and is not the same thing as the E46 problem.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I am at my wits end with this car, and am at the point of wanting to sell it, as it is driving me absolutely nuts.

Thanks to all in advance!

·
BMW Addict
122 Posts
Is it actually going to High Beams? Or is the leveling control going nuts? There is a car-level signal that comes from a sensor on the suspension. Maybe there is a loose connction or a bad sensor there.

What does the dealer say?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it actually going to High Beams? Or is the leveling control going nuts? There is a car-level signal that comes from a sensor on the suspension. Maybe there is a loose connction or a bad sensor there.

What does the dealer say?
Checked the leveling sensor, and it is OK. It is actually flipping to high beam, which, because it is bi-xenon, is just the lens flipping up to raise the light's level.

Yesterday when it went absolutely crazy, you could hear the electronic noise of the headlight controllers going crazy, like machine gun fire.

Dealer could not replicate the problem, thus my frustration. It is very intermittent, but extremely annoying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts