BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to hear your thoughts on the new M Coupe, I know Ron has one, what are your thoughts Ron? Anyone else that has one or has driven one please give us your thoughts. I have had a S52 M Coupe and I'm thinking about getting the new one but I'm affraid it is under powered by todays standards(or mine). Does the new M Coupe feel a lot quicker than the E46 M3? The 0-60 times seem slower??

·
Registered
110 Posts
i had a very long test drive on twisties and a bit on the freeway. LOVED it and ordered it. Raw and real sports car with edge. Just the way i like it. Not as tossable as my S2000 going real fast on the tight turns but definitely faster especially on the low end. A great car with great personality. Now I will soon have two tempermental/high energy cars! (you can make some women comparisons here if you want but cars are more predictable...). This car is addictive.... now if the darn thing would just get here!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I traded my E60 M5

...for my M Coupe. No regrets. The car feels very light, quick. Great steering feel.

Feels very different than the E46 M3's I've driven. Feels quicker, and probably is. Seating position is much lower than the M3 and suspension is stiffer.

·
Registered
458 Posts
if you think you want one; get one. no regrets, no prisioners.

keep to the code :)

aaaarrrrggggghhhhh!

conorb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
conorb said:
if you think you want one; get one. no regrets, no prisioners.

keep to the code :)

aaaarrrrggggghhhhh!

conorb
The problem is there is no way I can test drive one. I would have to place an order and just hope I like it. Although I'm sure I would my only concern is the power. I currently have a 944 Turbo that has 300rwhp and don't want my new M Coupe to feel "slow". Is the new M Coupe quicker than the E46 M3? Why does BMW say it is not if it is?

·
Registered
868 Posts
mojofle Is the new M Coupe quicker than the E46 M3? Why does BMW say it is not if it is?[/QUOTE said:
BMW website/s state lower 0-100km times 0-60mph times worldwide for M Coupe vs e46M3 - By all accounts the Coupe is ~ 0.2 tenths quicker

·
Registered
458 Posts
mojoflex said:
The problem is there is no way I can test drive one. I would have to place an order and just hope I like it. Although I'm sure I would my only concern is the power. I currently have a 944 Turbo that has 300rwhp and don't want my new M Coupe to feel "slow". Is the new M Coupe quicker than the E46 M3? Why does BMW say it is not if it is?
I hear you there. I also ordered one without a test drive. I was able to drive a Z4 M Roadster - twice actually. The first time I had a horrible experience. I was nervous, the salesman was nervous, it was just bad.

The second time was much better and I knew that I wanted a coupe so I went ahead and did it. The M Coupe has slightly different suspension settings over the M Roadster and is significantly stiffer, albeit about 30 lbs heavier. I don't know how quick a 300 HP 944 Turbo would be and my M Coupe isn't broken in yet, but I can only imagine how "quick" it's going to be once I can use another 2500 rpms. :)

The new M Coupe is considerably lighter than the M3 and by all accounts proportionally quicker.

It's a tough decision especially because the cars aren't readily available, but in my personal opinion, it's worth it.

conor

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had M3 from 01-06: IMO the Coupe handles better

which is consistent with Nurburgring results per BMW. I never owned a 2 seater before this one. To me it feels like I'm one with the car and the car responds on command.
With the M3 I felt it took more effort to control it in maneuveurs.

0-60 for coupe is 4.9 and 4.8 for M3 per BMW; however, 4.7 is pretty much the accepted figure for M3 after multiple magazine testing. The coupe is testing sometimes at 5.0+

The M3 was built from scratch ie differential, trans, tires, motor, etc, while the coupe received hand me downs. But the coupe did "come together" extremely well.

I am glad I gave up the M3 for my current chance to own a Coupe. It does feel like a step up, albeit a small step.

I have never owned a Porsche, never drove one, never been even a passenger.
So I can't comment on the most logical question, should you replace yours with the Cayman S which I personally believe has much more than the advertised 295-305hp.

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
mojoflex said:
The problem is there is no way I can test drive one.
Is a (long) drive down to see Bob Lindquist way further south on the FL coast out of the question? He used to have 2 M Coupes in the lot, maybe still does.

Rumor says that Bob's on vacation, so he may not be available for quick questions here. At least not until next week.

See http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153731

1 - 9 of 9 Posts