BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bumped into this post on e46fanatics.com yesterday. Looks like 06SMGCabrio is getting a new motor because his VANOS failed immediately after Inspection II. There are hints at the fact that a lot of the VANOS failures on S54 M3s have been past Inspection II.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=603639&page=4

Since our cars are still low in mileage, I though this would be something to keep in mind when bringing your Z4M to a dealer for Inspection II where they open up the valve cover and expose the VANOS for valve shimming etc.

Looks like a very sensitive solenoid can cause catastrophic failure of the VANOS and potentially send metal shards into the cylinders.

Not to be all negative, I also found this thread where Tonester has done some preventative maintenance on the VANOS. This sounds reasonable to do after about 10K miles, methinks to cleanout all the break-in metal from the unit filter.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=225780

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Definitely bookmarked for my first service, this seems like a no-brainer to replace the small filter and you'd think along with the first all-fluids flush at 1200, this would be done then as well. I will have it replaced at that first 1200 service as well, seems like this filter would trap the most during that interval.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Bumped into this post on e46fanatics.com yesterday. Looks like 06SMGCabrio is getting a new motor because his VANOS failed immediately after Inspection II. There are hints at the fact that a lot of the VANOS failures on S54 M3s have been past Inspection II.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=603639&page=4
He's calling inspection II for both of his services in post one. 29,000 miles would be Inspection I.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8446284&postcount=1

I didn't realize there was a filter in the pressure valve.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
He's calling inspection II for both of his services in post one. 29,000 miles would be Inspection I.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8446284&postcount=1

I didn't realize there was a filter in the pressure valve.
Nor did I. I just ordered four (4) sets to start implementing that service whenever I do S-54 rod bearing replacement (01-02 Z3Ms).

Big thanks to Pal for bringing that tidbit to the table :thumbup:

Incidentally, I do not believe that an Inspection Service (I or II) will open the door to an engine failure; a bad technician will however, and he doesn't need an Insp Svc as an excuse...

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nor did I. I just ordered four (4) sets to start implementing that service whenever I do S-54 rod bearing replacement (01-02 Z3Ms).

Big thanks to Pal for bringing that tidbit to the table :thumbup:

Incidentally, I do not believe that an Inspection Service (I or II) will open the door to an engine failure; a bad technician will however, and he doesn't need an Insp Svc as an excuse...
Randy- Do you mind sharing the p#'s?

I dont have much confidence in my dealer/tech since twice he overfilled the oil. Maybe I will take a drive to Ohio and have you do the work :thumbup:

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the P#'s Ron.

Do we need to replace the valve cover gasket and any others to do this?

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
O-ring 11 31 1 318 659 $3.16r
O-ring 11 36 1 403 325 $3.70r
Filter 11 36 1 401 971 $8.87r
I ordered the sealing plate too, just to be prepared...

11 36 7 831 906 sealing plate

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Thanks for the P#'s Ron.

Do we need to replace the valve cover gasket and any others to do this?
No, unless you're also doing a valve adjust service (Insp I or II).

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
I'm eagerly awaiting the DIY thread on this :)
For some reason I can't find it. I've seen it before but it's not on the newer TIS that I can find.
Newer TIS shows the E85 Vanos differences, so maybe it's on the older TIS which I haven't checked yet.

·
My kine-a town.
420 Posts
I brought my car to the dealer for its 10K service a few weeks back and commented that it seemed to be running a little down on power and that there was an audible vibration coming from what sounded like the engine bay. The dealer completed the service and commented that there was an issue with the VANOS that they fixed. ...not sure if this would be the same issue being discussed here...but I guess the point is that I had issues with the VANOS on my car as well...seems to be a trend.

Do we know if these tend to be recurring issues or do the problems usually stay resolved once fixed?

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I brought my car to the dealer for its 10K service a few weeks back and commented that it seemed to be running a little down on power
I brought my car for the 12,800 mile service and the throttle response in Sport mode seems to be noticeably less agressive than before. I called the dealer and asked if they did anything to the engine and they said they did not touch it else it would have been on the invoice. Somehow, I dont believe them.

Anything to look out for to see if they may have opened up the VANOS unit?

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like its quite easy to replace the filter and 2 o-rings ... 1 22 mm bolt (aka the Pressure Limiting Valve) and the seals and filter should pull out with it.

Here is the RealOEM Link. Go to the Z4 MCoupe->Engine->Cylinder Head->VANOS image. 4, 5 and 6 are the seals and filter.

Here is a pic of the bolt I took today ...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts