BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rad Racer World Champion
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a new job and that's the commute. Stop-and-go through town. Will doing this long term harm the engine?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Got a new job and that's the commute. Stop-and-go through town. Will doing this long term harm the engine?
Depends on your OCI. If you go ten to fifteen thousand miles between oil changes and seldom get the engine to operating temperature (oil temp a little under 210) engine life could be negatively impacted.
I would definitely do an oil analysis on every oil change to monitor engine wear.

·
Rad Racer World Champion
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on your OCI. If you go ten to fifteen thousand miles between oil changes and seldom get the engine to operating temperature (oil temp a little under 210) engine life could be negatively impacted.
I would definitely do an oil analysis on every oil change to monitor engine wear.
The oil is generally nearly at operating temp, if not at operating temp at 15 minutes. I change oil every ~6,000 miles. Does this help?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have the same 10 minute commute that you refer to. As stated previously, watch the oil changes, and be certain that your come up to operating temperature for at least a short while to vaporize any water and other volatiles.

I also make certain that at least twice a week I get the car up to speed for a longer time by either going the long way to work on the freeway or running the car hard on the weekends just for the pleasure of it.

My every 2 or 3 times/month canyon carving runs are not, in my opinion, enough.

Enjoy your car for even the short commute, as I do.

EB

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts