BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were out driving today and for some reason our transponder did not open the gate on the local toll bridge. It finally went up but while driving through it came down very hard on the roof of the car. It went up again and then came down again hard. The car shook hard with my wife and I in the car. We finally got the car out and had a look a the roof. No visible damage was seen at all. I didn't clean it up yet so there may be some scratches but otherwise it is amazing how well the roof held up to two very intense hits with a metal gate (though it did have a little padding around it)..

My question - other than visible damage is there anything else I should be looking for. Keeping in mind the the impact was hard enough the knock the sunglass holder down and we both felt the car shake..

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
I suppose I would file a comprehensive claim with your insurance, should be no deductible or points for damage from a road hazard. The roof is held up by the strongest frame section of the car. And it doesn't take much to knock the sunglasses holder open. Look at the window and body gaps, see if any are unusual or different from the others. This would indicate possible frame damage. Examine the car under florescent and bright sunlight, after cleaning it. I hope nothing serious happened!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I filed an accident report but didn't plan on filing and insurance claim unless there was some form of damage but I was worried the damage may not be evident. I'll clean her up and have a better look.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Who's accountable for the gate operation?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who's accountable for the gate operation?
There is a city bridge commission that handles that. I filed the report with them. They said they would pay for any damages but their does not appear to be any - that is why I was worried about hidden damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts