BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone is still having issues with this setup ? i know there were issues with the noises front and rear , and some other things ...

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
No issues I'm aware of, and I'm likely only second to TCK for installations (I've done two in the past three weeks).

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,795 Posts
I also have the TCKline D/A setup and don't have any issues.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
I was wondering if anyone is still having issues with this setup ? i know there were issues with the noises front and rear , and some other things ...
-I'm assuming you are talking about the D/As for the Z4? I have 1st gen rears and 2nd gen fronts. The rears make a little noise, the fronts don't. TC told me at Bimmerfest that the 2nd gen rears (the currently-sold ones) don't make any noise because he got Koni to re-valve them. So if you buy new, all corners should be quiet.

Eventually dirt and stuff will get in the perches and you may or may not get coil squeak. This is possible with any coilover setup and easily fixable with some grease. I've had it happen once. It's a maintenance issue, not of the TCK product in particular.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've got loads of squeak from the front left spring, but I will try to get rid of it with either some grease or a teflon washer when I replace them for firmer springs this week. I get a little noise from the rear dampers, but it's not bothersome.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
I've got loads of squeak from the front left spring, but I will try to get rid of it with either some grease or a teflon washer when I replace them for firmer springs this week. I get a little noise from the rear dampers, but it's not bothersome.
I'd shy away from any grease, or use it very-very sparingly; like an extremely thin film smeared only on the contact surface(s) with your finger.

Grease, per se', will attract and retain small pebbles, sand and debris. Not the result you're looking for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys as I'm trying to decide what setup to get and i really wanted to get the TC Kline setup for my Z4M but with all the issues in the begining i decided to wait...

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
I have TCK on our M3, and the rear does rattle a bit. It didn't do it until I bumped up the compression and rebound to about midway for all around driving.

I know several other people with the setup, and the guys who run moderate to high settings get a bit of rear rattle. Guys who left them full soft don't.

I haven't doulbe checked the mounts yet to see if that is the source of the rattle.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just got TCK D/A front and S/A rear. It's set at full soft now to breakin the shocks a bit. I noticed there is a click from the rear when I start off. I will get it tighten up in a week or so and post an update.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got TCK D/A front and S/A rear. It's set at full soft now to breakin the shocks a bit. I noticed there is a click from the rear when I start off. I will get it tighten up in a week or so and post an update.
Thanks for the update ..and looking forward to the next one ...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have DA front and back, the rears make noise to the point where I decided to remove them and put in standard SA Koni yellow's. The fronts didn't make any noise in the beginning at least that I noticed with the noise coming from the rears being so loud. But when I put in the Koni yellows in the rear the noise from the fronts becomes very evident, it is annoying more then anything else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have DA front and back, the rears make noise to the point where I decided to remove them and put in standard SA Koni yellow's. The fronts didn't make any noise in the beginning at least that I noticed with the noise coming from the rears being so loud. But when I put in the Koni yellows in the rear the noise from the fronts becomes very evident, it is annoying more then anything else.
Same with me except I started off with DA front and SA rear. The rears have been quiet since the beginning. The fronts are another story altogether. The rattling is a real pain on the street. The left front got to the point where it sounded like you were shaking an empty gas can with about 10 ball bearings in it. It was replaced and the replacement is better, but by no means quiet. And, the noise is not just at 'parking lot' speed - unless you consider 60-70 MPH parking lot speed.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
Same with me except I started off with DA front and SA rear. The rears have been quiet since the beginning. The fronts are another story altogether. The rattling is a real pain on the street. The left front got to the point where it sounded like you were shaking an empty gas can with about 10 ball bearings in it. It was replaced and the replacement is better, but by no means quiet. And, the noise is not just at 'parking lot' speed - unless you consider 60-70 MPH parking lot speed.
-When did you have your fronts replaced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
-When did you have your fronts replaced?
They were shipped from TC Kline the last week of January, 2008. Actually, they just replaced the left front. The right is the original that was installed late in 2007 and now they both make about the same amount of noise.

They do work great at the track, otherwise I probably would have replaced them by now.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
They were shipped from TC Kline the last week of January, 2008. Actually, they just replaced the left front. The right is the original that was installed late in 2007 and now they both make about the same amount of noise.

They do work great at the track, otherwise I probably would have replaced them by now.
-TC told me that the ones he sells "currently" are totally quiet, and that those of us with the older design can pay $80/set to Koni to get them re-valved with the new valves. I don't know if they would really be quiet or not. So I'm curious to see if anyone got the TCK D/As since the beginning of April.

·
Registered
14 Posts
-TC told me that the ones he sells "currently" are totally quiet, and that those of us with the older design can pay $80/set to Koni to get them re-valved with the new valves. I don't know if they would really be quiet or not. So I'm curious to see if anyone got the TCK D/As since the beginning of April.
Interesting! Thanks. I'll definitely check on it.

I have a couple more track days in June and the beginning of July and will check it out after that. Right now I'm on hold waiting to get my Z4M Coupe back from getting a harness bar and Race Tech seat installed :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the update ..and looking forward to the next one ...
I had the front adjusted to about 1/3 (4 clicks) Friday. I driven the last couple of days and didn't noticed any noise. The rear is still full soft at this time. The shop that did the suspension work did not modified the RSM. I am going to have them redo it and install Rogue Engineer RSM.

They adjusted only rebound for the front. I will bring back next week to make more adjustment on compression.

MY setup is D/A front S/A rear with 450/500. I like the spring rate because the ride is better than the stock. The car have very slight squat and deep now. There doesn't seem to be any body roll. Taking turns with suggested 20 mph at 50+ mph.

Very impress with TCK so far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My fronts were the new ones from Koni Holland, I will have to talk to TC about getting them replace. I hear them all the time up to about 40 MPH which means basically everywhere but the track and highway.

It's going to cost a few bucks to do the RE/RE plus alignment which is the only resson why I have been holding off doing anything about the noise.

Code:
Right now I'm on hold waiting to get my Z4M Coupe back from getting a harness bar and Race Tech seat installed :-)
Please post some pictures when you get this done, very interested in seeing what this looks like.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts