BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I checked the onboard computer last night to get a first read on MPG (the car's got about 5K miles on it now): 16.5MPG. Not sure how accurate that thing is, but that really sucks. Good job I really don't care all that much (first time I've checked MPG, though lessening the number of times I have to fill up would be great. My hypothesis for the crap mileage is that I'm flooring the car to hear it. The thing is simply too quiet (Eisenmann Race has been ordered) to really enjoy. My old '99 MC was much more enjoyable to drive, partly due to the exhaust sound. So, oddly enough I'm expecting a substantial MPG improvement when the new exhaust arrives - as a result of me modifying my driving (the Race will probably be "too loud" to drive like I currently drive the car). I'm not sure what's going on with BMW - this is an M for goodness sake - you're supposed to be able to hear it! Sheesh!:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Thats great MPG!! I only get 15mpg.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's too funny. I was surprised because I was definitely getting 20-something in my '99 MC.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
16.5 sounds about right to me for long-term average. I've said it before... if you're getting 20mpg in an S54, you should turn it back in to the dealer. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I live near a freeway but it is stop and go on the average I consistently get 20-21 mpg on a recent trip to Houston (190 miles) I was doing 70-85 all the way I got 25.3 Very happy with these numbers for that car.
As far as hearing the engine agree to a apoint but to me the Z4M is the perfect balance between hearing that engine when you want to (hitting 4-6k rpm) and not when you want to hear your music playing
I love it.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
I live near a freeway but it is stop and go on the average I consistently get 20-21 mpg on a recent trip to Houston (190 miles) I was doing 70-85 all the way I got 25.3 Very happy with these numbers for that car.
As far as hearing the engine agree to a apoint but to me the Z4M is the perfect balance between hearing that engine when you want to (hitting 4-6k rpm) and not when you want to hear your music playing
I love it.
I insulated both doors (1.29 lb per door) and some of the trunk which I will finish this Winter.
Gets rid of most of the road noise but now the engine screams at high revs.
I like that sewing machine sound.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I insulated both doors (1.29 lb per door) and some of the trunk which I will finish this Winter.
Gets rid of most of the road noise but now the engine screams at high revs.
I like that sewing machine sound.
Very smart- I think that is a nice weekend project to put on my schedule...
When i can get to it!:dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts