BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a "new-to-me" 2008 Z4M Roadster this last January. I have found that the light in the center storage compartment (between the seats) is always on.

Is this normal? If so, has anyone rigged a switch in there?

TIA

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine did that once i took it to the dealer the replaced the door as a little tab was broken off at the bottom of the door in the middle that activates the switch to shut it off. Yyou can pull the light down and disconnect it also.

·
Some Say...he apexes late
134 Posts
There's a pastic 'finger' that closes the microswitch below the door when you shut it. You can see it it the second pic above, the little ridge in the bottom center of the door piece.
Yours probably broke off like mine did when something snagged it. Test your switch with a penpoint - the light shoulf go out when you close the switch. If not, the switch is bad. If it closes the circuit, your switch is ok and the activator (finger) is probably missing. You can glue or screw a tiny bit of something to the bottom of the door to activate the switch. I used a tiny black machine screw in the bottom of the compartment door just in front of where the finger used to be. It closes the switch every time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you folks! From the responses I did find the switch and I did test it. Since it is functional, I will get to work on replacing the tab (a.k.a. "finger") post haste.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2007 Z4MC! i had to take the car to 3 different dealerships to get it fixed finally. My was actually draining the batery if i did not lock the car's doors. If your car is still under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them fix it for you! Good luck

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thank you folks! From the responses I did find the switch and I did test it. Since it is functional, I will get to work on replacing the tab (a.k.a. "finger") post haste.
If you take your 08 into the dealer, they should replace the door under warranty. Mine is fine after 5yrs. Just be careful and aware that it is there. Very stupid design IMO as it is VERY easy to break off. The tab should have been made out of more sturdy material

·
Calvinball Professional
1,104 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2007 Z4MC! i had to take the car to 3 different dealerships to get it fixed finally. My was actually draining the batery if i did not lock the car's doors. If your car is still under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them fix it for you! Good luck
So locking the doors turns out that light? Interesting. **runs out to garage to test**

I went through this a while back. I routed my DICE iPod cable through the access hole and it evidently snagged. Dealer replaced it and was surprised that they hadn't seen this problem before, given the absurdity of the design, and fragility of the "finger".

·
Registered
9 Posts
So locking the doors turns out that light? Interesting. **runs out to garage to test**
Yes, the car essentially goes into "SLEEP" mode when you locked the doors! It takes about 15-16 minutes if the doors remain unlock. I am making it a habbit to lock the doors everytime since there are several modules still running prior to "SLEEP" mode kicks in. In my case, the Telecommunication Unit (TCU) went bad and continued to draw 2A eventhought the car was completely shutdown (replaced under warranty along with the Center console door). Good Luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
I saw some one screw in a little screw, just enough that it sticks out to touch the tab.. i might do that.. yeah it will be ugly.. right now i just have tape over mine.. so it's off permanently

1 - 11 of 11 Posts