Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I'm a newbie to the group and posting for the first time. Before I post, however, I just wanted to thank the organizers/moderators & members of the group for bimmerfest. I pretty much stopped going to the other websites b/c of all the b.s. which went on and pretty much stopped participating; and discovered this group by accident. Reading the other threads made me want to participate again. Thanks for the wealth of info and comraderie. Anyhows, the Q...

Staying up much too late the last few nites, I've attempted to read all the prior bimmerfest threads on Zaino. I do know that several group members swear by it for their bimmers. I'm about 99.5% about to switch to the Zaino system. However, bf I do, one thing is bugging me. Looking at the photos at the Zaino website, why is it that only American cars (corvettes / Z28s, etc.) are pictured? Is the Zaino system especially made for that type of car/Paint?

Also, it seems as though the paints pictured are non-metallic paints, not metallic. Cause for concern? or overly cautious?

I know that shouldn't be the case, since some bimmer and porsche fanatics swear by Zaino.

Thanks all in advance,
Drew

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Our #1 resident Zaino expert live in NYC also. Alee, the detailing modereator and you need to hook up. (just try to ignore his OCD:) )

20,210 Posts
disneyducks said:

Looking at the photos at the Zaino website, why is it that only American cars (corvettes / Z28s, etc.) are pictured? Is the Zaino system especially made for that type of car/Paint?
I'd say that in regard to this, the corvettes and camaros/z28's seem to have a multitude of curves/lines in their bodies and hoods especially, which dramatically enhance the "wet" look and the glossy properties of a freshly zainoed car.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Welcome to the 'fest!

Zaino is very, very popular among American car enthusiasts. I think this is because Sal Zaino started to sell his product to those communities first, since he was most familiar with them. Once the F-body and 'Vette owners spread the word, everyone else started to catch on. Sal himself owns a Viper, and it's the shiniest damn thing I've ever seen. There are more pictures of Z28s and C5s on his site because those are the people who used his product the most, earliest. Now Zaino is very widespread but I wouldn't be surprised if those guys still make up a significant portion of his market.

AFAIK, there is no chemical difference between "American" and "German" paints. Hell, the same companies probably supply the entire market - PPG, Dupont, etc. No worries there. :) And if you have a metallic paint finish, go for it! Zaino does an awesome job of really bringing out the flakes, particularly in sunlight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
our moderator's use of zaino

DougDogs said:
Our #1 resident Zaino expert live in NYC also. Alee, the detailing modereator and you need to hook up. (just try to ignore his OCD:) )
In reading the threads, one of them spoke about our Moderator's switch from Zaino to Carnuba. Since, I was unable to see any threads on the reason for the switch, I emailed him about it.

For those interested , the main impetus for his switch (I don't think Al would mind me sharing) had to do with fact that, living in the city, he would be unable to tend to detailing his car himself and had to rely on detailers-- detailers who used carnuba, not zaino. That, plus the fact that ordering zaino was a PITA.

Regards,
drew:bigpimp:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although I do not know much about Zaino except from the great followers here on this and other webs. I have to respectfully disagree with the above statement that Dupont PPG and other domesstic paint manufacturers supply the German OEM car market. Not to say anything bad about their products I am sure they have substitute products that match the colors. German Auto Manufacturers use BASF, AKZO NOBEL and other German paint manufacturers.
This in no means implies that Zaino is not compatable. It only points to the fact The German cars have different finishes than American cars , and also completly different than the Japanese car finishes. ( Cars Manufactured in Japan, not domestics).

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
Re: our moderator's use of zaino

disneyducks said:
For those interested , the main impetus for his switch (I don't think Al would mind me sharing) had to do with fact that, living in the city, he would be unable to tend to detailing his car himself and had to rely on detailers-- detailers who used carnuba, not zaino. That, plus the fact that ordering zaino was a PITA.
Hey that's copyrighted advice I gave you! :D

I didn't realize you were in NYC. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Madman said:
Although I do not know much about Zaino except from the great followers here on this and other webs. I have to respectfully disagree with the above statement that Dupont PPG and other domesstic paint manufacturers supply the German OEM car market. Not to say anything bad about their products I am sure they have substitute products that match the colors. German Auto Manufacturers use BASF, AKZO NOBEL and other German paint manufacturers.
This in no means implies that Zaino is not compatable. It only points to the fact The German cars have different finishes than American cars , and also completly different than the Japanese car finishes. ( Cars Manufactured in Japan, not domestics).
BMW used to use PPG and now they use Sikkens.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Ah, I was mistaken. Thanks for the correction. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts