BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I am seriously thinking about giving my car the "zaino" treatment. However, I have never used the stuff and I have no clue on what I need to order. So I guess my question is when you guys order the zaino stuff what to you typically order? And also if possible can someone post the link to Alee's "guide to zaino". Ive read it before but I cant remember the link. Thanks:D

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
I can tell you what I ordered:

ZFX (Cure Accelerator)
Z2 (Show Car Polish for Clear Coat)
Z5 (Show Car Polish for light Scratches)
Z6 (Quick Detail Spray)
Z7 (Car Wash)
Z18 (Clay Bar)

Z12 (Glass Polish)
Z14 (Plastic Polish)

The Z12 and Z14 are personal preference, but I would definately recommend you get the others.

One misconception that I had was the use of ZFX. I thought you applied the ZFX to the paint and then applied Z2/Z5 over it. This is not true. You actually mix the ZFX with the Z2 or Z5 and apply it. So, you only have to apply one coat. With Z1, the other curing agent, you actually apply a coat of it and then a coat of Z2/Z5. So it would reason that ZFX is a little less work.

Another misconception I had was that you have to use ZFX each time you apply Zaino. That is not true. Once you apply a coat of ZFX (with either Z2 or Z5 mixed in), you can apply the Z2/Z5 up to 10 times without using ZFX. Also, ZFX should not be used more than 03 times in a 24 Hour Period.

What I do is mix about an ounce of ZFX/Z5 and apply/remove one coat. Then apply/remove another coat. Then, the next day or next weekend, I might apply another coat of Z5 and then a coat of Z2, both without the ZFX Additive.

The Claybar really does a great job on the finish. Even on my car, which was only a few months old, I could tell a difference. On my Dad's Truck, it was amazing.

I am also a big fan of the Z6. I use it after each car wash and in between each coat of Z2/Z5.

This is pretty basic, so if you have any specific questions, please ask. I will try to answer them, or maybe the great Zaino King Alee will chime in.:lmao:

**EDIT**

For the record, I ordered my Zaino from Ecklers. They are a Corvette site, but they ship anywhere and take Internet Orders.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
GSR13 said:

One misconception that I had was the use of ZFX. I thought you applied the ZFX to the paint and then applied Z2/Z5 over it. This is not true. You actually mix the ZFX with the Z2 or Z5 and apply it. So, you only have to apply one coat. With Z1, the other curing agent, you actually apply a coat of it and then a coat of Z2/Z5. So it would reason that ZFX is a little less work.

Another misconception I had was that you have to use ZFX each time you apply Zaino. That is not true. Once you apply a coat of ZFX (with either Z2 or Z5 mixed in), you can apply the Z2/Z5 up to 10 times without using ZFX. Also, ZFX should not be used more than 03 times in a 24 Hour Period.
This is not exactly correct. The ZFX allows you to apply more coats faster. It also allows you to not use Z-1 for the first step.

The way you do it is to apply Z-5 or Z-2 with ZFX pretty much as fast as you can apply and remove, up to 5 coats in 24 hours. You use ZFX ANYTIME you want to apply more than one coat in a short period of time.

Other than the very first coat you do not NEED to use ZFX unless you want to reduce the drying time between coats. Adn this is forever. No need to use ZFX every so often.

And if you are not going to do the multiple coat thing on a regular basis there is no reason to use ZFX. Z-1 will do the job for bonding the first coat.

This info from the Zaino Bros. site.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Oops, slight mistake, no more then 3 coats per 24 hours with ZFX, not 5 as I previously said.

And based on that, if you do it in the summer in high heat, you might be better off without using ZFX becasue if you let it dry naturally there is no limit to the numbr of coats you can apply in 24 hours.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Pinecone said:
Oops, slight mistake, no more then 3 coats per 24 hours with ZFX, not 5 as I previously said.

And based on that, if you do it in the summer in high heat, you might be better off without using ZFX becasue if you let it dry naturally there is no limit to the numbr of coats you can apply in 24 hours.
Actually, I believe you are only supposed to apply one coat of Zaino every 24 hours without ZFX. Ideally, that is.

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
Pinecone said:
Other than the very first coat you do not NEED to use ZFX unless you want to reduce the drying time between coats. Adn this is forever. No need to use ZFX every so often.

According to LAZAINO, that is not true. This is from their site:

"Remember you'll need to use Z-1 or ZFX every 6 months or every 10 coats of Zaino polish."

also:

"If you use ZFX, you will use it with the first coat and at least every 6 months or 10 coats thereafter."

At any rate, if you wish to apply more than one coat in 24 Hours, you have to have ZFX. If you do not use ZFX, you can only apply one coat in a 24 Hour Period.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pinecone said:
And if you are not going to do the multiple coat thing on a regular basis there is no reason to use ZFX. Z-1 will do the job for bonding the first coat.
That's true to a certain extent. However, there are benefits to using ZFX other than an accelerated cross-linking or cure time.

1. Higher inital shine.
2. Quicker dry-time (often confused with cure-time, which is different)
3. Higher inital hardness.
4. Improved swirl-filling ability of Z-5 (i'm splitting hairs here because the swirl filling ability of Z-5 kinda sucks, with or without ZFX).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Another Zaino question:

After applying and buffing off z2/5, do you have to wait before applying z6?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oh, forgot....

I clayed the car last week, didnt notice anything at all on the clay bar... am i not doing it right or, is my car simply too clean to clay, the car is 4 months old now... :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
179 Posts
No, you can go ahead and quick detail your car with Z-6 immediately after you're done applying and buffing the polish (as well as between coats if you're doing more than one coat).

However, if you want to take it up a notch on the anal-meter (like some folks over at Autopia do), you could wait about 12 hours or more before spraying Z-6 on a car that's just been polished with unmixed Z-5/Z-2. This is done to give the polish some time to cure. Since water inhibits cross-linking, some people believe it is less than ideal to spray Z-6 on a car that's been freshly detailed with ZCSP and not yet fully cured.

If you're talking about ZCSP that's mixed with ZFX, then this won't be an issue at all.

20,210 Posts
bimmee said:
Oh, forgot....

I clayed the car last week, didnt notice anything at all on the clay bar... am i not doing it right or, is my car simply too clean to clay, the car is 4 months old now... :dunno: :dunno:
I clayed my car when it was about 8 months old, and it looked clean as a whistle after claying the hood, roof, trunklid and sides. The only crap showed up along the sideskirts and bumper covers.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thanks for the tip Intermezzo. Yup, I z6 between coats, didnt purchase zfx because the distributor dont carry it. What you guys think, i am planning on applying z5 after everywash(every week to every other week) to get rid of swirl marks and fine scratches, will the frequent waxing help?

So Atyclb, but after claying, do you see whats being picked up by the clay? I didnt :dunno:

20,210 Posts
bimmee said:
Thanks for the tip Intermezzo. Yup, I z6 between coats, didnt purchase zfx because the distributor dont carry it. What you guys think, i am planning on applying z5 after everywash(every week to every other week) to get rid of swirl marks and fine scratches, will the frequent waxing help?

So Atyclb, but after claying, do you see whats being picked up by the clay? I didnt :dunno:
only the tar/bug stuff from the sideskirts and front fascia.

The rest of the car, the clay looked like I hadn't even used it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
atyclb said:

only the tar/bug stuff from the sideskirts and front fascia.

The rest of the car, the clay looked like I hadn't even used it.
okay, i'll take my car is too clean to clay then :D

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
bimmee said:

okay, i'll take my car is too clean to clay then :D
....probably cause there ain't much rail dust in Paradise...........

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
GSR13 said:

According to LAZAINO, that is not true. This is from their site:

"Remember you'll need to use Z-1 or ZFX every 6 months or every 10 coats of Zaino polish."

also:

"If you use ZFX, you will use it with the first coat and at least every 6 months or 10 coats thereafter."

At any rate, if you wish to apply more than one coat in 24 Hours, you have to have ZFX. If you do not use ZFX, you can only apply one coat in a 24 Hour Period.
Well, Zaino themselves don't say that anywhere I can find on their site. I and figure they know more about their system than anyone.

As for the not using ZFX unless you want rapid recoats in cooler temps, from the Zaino site:

"7. After removal of Zaino Z-2 or Z-5. You should wait 24 hours if the outside temperature is under 70 degrees and 6 hours if over 70 degrees, before applying the next coat of Z-5 or Z-2."

So you are wrong about 1 coat per 24 hours, IF the temp is above 70 degrees/

I was confused about fast recoats because just above they say:

"You can leave Z-2 or Z-5 on for hours or overnight if you desire. When it is not humid Z-2 will take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes to dry. Depending on how heavy you applied it. I have applied Z-2 in the Arizona sun and it dried in approx. 3 to 5 minutes. I have also applied it in 38 degree temperature and it took about 2 to 3 hours to dry"

So even though it drys enough to remove quickly, you still want to wait some period of time. But you can still get 3 coats in a day, WITHOUT ZFX, if the temp is high enough and there is low humidity. 1 early morning, 1 mid day,and 1 in the evening. But ZFX does make this process happen a lot quicker and easier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts