Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 BMW which I use either P21S Paintwork Cleanser or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze twice a year before I wax. Currently I have Gliptone Platinum Paste Wax with Teflon (polymer wax) on my car. What do you think of Gliptone with Teflon? I am planning on switching over to Zaino. Do I need to Z-18 Claybar my car? If not, is Z-2 the correct polish to buy? I plan on getting the ZFX additive. With ZFX additive in my polish, how long do I have to wait before buffing out? If I use this system it seems I only need to apply once and buff out once vs. the carnauba wax method which requires two steps.

By the way, will Zaino products chalk?

Can I Zaino plastic parts on the exterior of the car, i.e. fog light cover, headlight cover, black trim around car, black plastic trim around outside mirrors?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Magna said:
I have a 2000 BMW which I use either P21S Paintwork Cleanser or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze twice a year before I wax. Currently I have Gliptone Platinum Paste Wax with Teflon (polymer wax) on my car. What do you think of Gliptone with Teflon? I am planning on switching over to Zaino. Do I need to Z-18 Claybar my car? If not, is Z-2 the correct polish to buy? I plan on getting the ZFX additive. With ZFX additive in my polish, how long do I have to wait before buffing out? If I use this system it seems I only need to apply once and buff out once vs. the carnauba wax method which requires two steps.

By the way, will Zaino products chalk?

Can I Zaino plastic parts on the exterior of the car, i.e. fog light cover, headlight cover, black trim around car, black plastic trim around outside mirrors?
I'm a clay bar convert, so I think you should always clay bar your car, whether you wax or Zaino. Z18 is excellent, and not really THAT expensive, but you can use whatever clay you want.

Note that there is no abrasive Zaino product, so you'll still want to use a paint cleaner or swirl remover for your paint problems BEFORE you Zaino, making sure that the product doesn't leave contaminants or glaze that interfere with Zaino's ability to adhere to the surface.

Z2 and Z5 are similar, although Z5 has a limited ability to fill swirls, like that 3M Imperial Hand Glaze you use. I would skip the Z2 and use Z5 exclusively. I've stopped using Z2 on my car.

You can Zaino just about anything....

And.... yes, it's possible to get Zaino residue in cracks, but far less so than with wax. I also haven't noticed it staining my black trim.

As for your previous cleaning process, note that 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is not abbrasive, it's a filler. It may appear to remove contaminants, but it just puts a nice covering over them. The clay bar will fix that.

--gary :thumb:

20,210 Posts
Here's a question to follow up on that:

Should I remove my Zaino layers before I clay my car? I'm about ready to clay and then remove swirls, so I've been wondering about that.

And how should I remove the Zaino, if necessary?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Zaino Removal

atyclb said:

Should I remove my Zaino layers before I clay my car? I'm about ready to clay and then remove swirls, so I've been wondering about that.

I've read that you can remove Zaino with rubbing alcohol, although I haven't tried it.

--gary

·
Registered
179 Posts
atyclb said:
If you plan on using an abrasive cleaner to remove your swirls, you don't have to worry about removing Zaino before you start your clay + swirl-removal process. The abrasive will cut right through Zaino.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info!

just want to be sure: so i can skip using z1 if i use the zfx additive? how long do i wait for i buff out after applying z5 (with zfx)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts