BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a copy of the 2011 brochure. It's mentioned in a number of places in the brochure that they are forged. Likely gratifying to those who have the package - but realistically not really a difference over cast wheels in regular street use.

·
I own my dream car!
185 Posts
There is a lot of speculation that the brochures are incorrect. I think it is mainly based on the fact that the wheels weigh more and cost less, making them unlikely to be forged. There might be more "proof", but I dunno.

Whatev... doesn't make any difference to me.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I don't know how the 359Ms are made, but when the E46 M3 ZCP came out BMWUSA said those wheels were forged. They were not. Numerous customers contacted BMWNA to point out that their "forged" claims were incorrect, but AFAIK they never corrected the false claim. BMW Germany never made that false claim.

I chalked that up to a sort of corporate "we cannot admit we made a mistake" mentality.

:tsk:

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
I don't know how the 359Ms are made, but when the E46 M3 ZCP came out BMWUSA said those wheels were forged. They were not. Numerous customers contacted BMWNA to point out that their "forged" claims were incorrect, but AFAIK they never corrected the false claim. BMW Germany never made that false claim.

I chalked that up to a sort of corporate "we cannot admit we made a mistake" mentality.

:tsk:
Interesting.
Forged wheels really are not much benefit for the street driver as Chris stated.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Interesting. Forged wheels really are not much benefit for the street driver as Chris stated.
But forged wheels are generally considered more desirable and more expensive. At www.bmw.de, the optional 19" 220Ms are labeled as forged, but the 359M are not.

I find it difficult to believe that BMWNA is still pulling this crap after years. :tsk:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts