BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone,

This is my first time posting here so I apologize in advance if I posted in wrong spot.

Car is 2005 BMW 525i 100k miles- just bought it with no prior knowledge or maintenance etc, but it looks pretty well taken care of.

The Question...
I am doing a 2 stage drain and fill with Lifeguard 6 oil.

1st stage-
drain and fill
After driving it a while lets say 500 miles or so...

2nd stage - drain replace pan filter and fill again

when I drained the pan I got about 6 quarts out, but can only get about 4-4.5 back in before its running out of fill plug.

***I have followed the exact ZF filling procedure- car level, correct temp, running it though the gears.

Why am I not able to get the whole 6 quarts back in?

Just want to make sure I am not damaging the tranny even though according to the procedure it is technically full.

Thanks in advance

· Registered
205 Posts
I would say that if it***8217;s not taking anymore then leave it...?

Also, did you notice any change with your transmission? I have an 2007 530 XX with 105k and wanted to do a drain and fill but people are saying transmission may slip afterwards...

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I waited until it cooled down to 35c and then checked it again- this time it was dry and allowed me to put more in but by the time it was flowing back out- I checked the temp and it was over 50c
So I put the plug back in and will check again once it cools down.
- I have not driven car enough to tell you how the tranny likes the new fluid..

· Registered
829 Posts
Op, You can start the fill process while the transmission temperature is below 35*C and fill until it starts to runout. Just don't replace the fill plug until it reaches 35*C. All that happens is you will waste a small quantity of fluid. Nicer to work on after it has cooled of to ambient temperatures and you have a little longer to finish the fill process without worrying about exceeding 50*C.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!
So this am first thing in the morn I measured the temp at 27c so I started it until it reached 30c and opend up the full plug which didn't have any fluid coming out so I added a couple more pumps until it started flowing out pretty good stream- by this time temp was already past 35c so I stopped and plugged it back up even though I was trying to wait til stream got a little thinner to a slow drip but like I said I had to close it up cause I was worried the temp was getting too hot expanding fluid which wouldn't give me accurate level.
So.....
I went to work and later that day I went home and attempted to check fluid again.
Temp was 30c so I started the car and opend the plug which was dry again so I added only about a pump maybe a pump and half and then it started flowing out- at this time temp was about 33c so I waitied while it got up to 35c while letting it drain out then put plug back in per JTs recommendation in above comments- by this time it was a thin stream.

I think- I hope I am safe now.

About 6.5 quarts came out and I have about 6.2 back in..
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

· Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,796 Posts
I refilled with the engine running and the car up on four jack stands. Made sure the car had the same number of inches off the ground in front and back. I left the drain open and hopped back in the car and ran through all the gears a couple times. Then back under to pump some more in, let it trickle out, watch the temp and then close it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.