Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im headed in soon for my 2nd trans service....i got 115000 miles now and much to my dislike the first service was done without replacing the mechatronic sleeve? They said it wasnt in need yet....uhgg at 94000 when it was serviced.
Can someone tell me if its just the 1 sealing sleeve that should be replaced or 2 as looking at ecs tuning is a bit confusing.
I have 7 qts of zf8 fluid and a new zf pan already.
Thanks everyone!
B.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Easiest method - lookup RealOEM against your VIN number.

Mine, a 2011 35d diesel, there were four sleeves (#5, #6, #7) plus Items #1 and #2 on this diagram.

I also got 10 liters of fluid and did a double drain - first drain, replace above parts, refill, run transmission to temp, etc, drain again, and refill a second time.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think ZF has figured out how to make a good mechatronic sleeve now. It was an issue with the early 6 speeds and the part has been updated. Your 8 speed may be fine for life. I only change them when the valve body is dropped.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
In my specific case - I wasn't expecting to see any noticeable improvement in transmission performance . . . I did it mainly because it is so easy to do it and the additional cost is not that much.

That said, there was a very noticeable difference in how the transmission shifted - noticeably more smooth in 2/3, 3/4 shifts . . . one of the four sleeves was slightly damaged . . . that may be the reason why shifts got smoother . . . i.e. if yours is not damaged/warped at all then you may not see any difference in the shifts.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
We are talking about different sleeves here. My post was about the sleeve at the wiring connector (which is really an O ring). There are also sleeves that seal the valve body to the transmission housing. All should be changed if the valve body is removed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey yall!
Thanks for the replies.....being that we keep vehicles till they die....i am wanting to do the sleeves, bridge seal, or whatever else can be serviced while the pan is off.
Only thing i know for sure so far is the mechatronic sleeve. What other items need preventative repalcement while in there?
If you could add links so i can purchase off of ecs tuning. for the 8 speed tranny.
Thanks again!
B.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hey yall!
Thanks for the replies.....being that we keep vehicles till they die....i am wanting to do the sleeves, bridge seal, or whatever else can be serviced while the pan is off.
Only thing i know for sure so far is the mechatronic sleeve. What other items need preventative repalcement while in there?
If you could add links so i can purchase off of ecs tuning. for the 8 speed tranny.
Thanks again!
B.
There is not a lot of DIY info out there on the 8 speed yet. You have the first year it was made and so far it seems to be very reliable. I always purchased my ZF 6 speed parts here.

https://www.thectsc.com/

You can email them and ask what they recommend. They have replied to me in the past.

You can also contact ZF and see what they recommend. https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/meta/contact/technical_inquiries_zf/technical-inquiries.jsp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts