BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can they simply go bad? my mechanic told me my VANOS is a mess and he's gonna change lots of things, including the cams. i told him if he can keep the cams and rebuild everything else. how exactly can a cam go bad? ur help is highly appreciated as where i am, i'm almost 99% confident that i'm not gonna find original ZHP cams in case they need to be replaced :mad:

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
can they simply go bad? my mechanic told me my VANOS is a mess and he's gonna change lots of things, including the cams. i told him if he can keep the cams and rebuild everything else. how exactly can a cam go bad? ur help is highly appreciated as where i am, i'm almost 99% confident that i'm not gonna find original ZHP cams in case they need to be replaced :mad:
Cams don`t normally "go bad"....it`s usually a case of a bad heat treat on the cams, or something like that. While I *have* heard one or two instances of *cracked* cams (BMW cams are hollow, and are somewhat fragile compared to solid bump-sticks).
Did your mech use a micrometer to check all the lobes, or ??? Why is it now "out of spec"?

ZHP cams are made by Schrick, a company which makes several levels of performance cams for BMWs....if worse comes to worse, I`m reasonably sure they would have a suitable replacement.

You sure this guy isn`t just trying to suck your wallet dry ?

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
I'm calling BS. Do the beisan VANOS rebuild and be done. The non M VANOS is far less problematic and rarely causes things to "be a mess". Sounds like your mechanic is trying to snake oil ya.

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
Also call BS. I had a lifter seize up on me and that scored the exhaust cam. Car ran fine until repaired too. Doubt yours is messed up.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer
Kind of OT but remind us again how you lost a lifter.......I assume your track day took you to 6500rpm for a long period of time? :dunno:

· Is it Trackday yet?
9,181 Posts
The dog and I were out for a run, 25 minutes at a time, in 100+ degree heat and Mobil 1 0w40 (apparently) failed me. We've done the same runs many times since then, and many prior, with the same conditions, but with BMW 5w30 Synthetic... never any issues at all.

You need to run your dog often to keep her happy. :angel:

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cams don`t normally "go bad"....it`s usually a case of a bad heat treat on the cams, or something like that. While I *have* heard one or two instances of *cracked* cams (BMW cams are hollow, and are somewhat fragile compared to solid bump-sticks).
Did your mech use a micrometer to check all the lobes, or ??? Why is it now "out of spec"?

ZHP cams are made by Schrick, a company which makes several levels of performance cams for BMWs....if worse comes to worse, I`m reasonably sure they would have a suitable replacement.

You sure this guy isn`t just trying to suck your wallet dry ?
i'm gonna ask him today about the cams, and the diagnosis he made that concluded to bad cams

I'm calling BS. Do the beisan VANOS rebuild and be done. The non M VANOS is far less problematic and rarely causes things to "be a mess". Sounds like your mechanic is trying to snake oil ya.
i can't do beisan VANOS rebuild since i'm half way around the globe away from u guys.
the problem is mechanics around here are not very familiar with small tweaks like u guys are. if something is not working well, they simply change the whole thing, they don't bother (not experienced enough) to meddle through. he's a good friend of mine, what seems to be rippin me off is simply doin more work then required :tsk:
will keep u posted once i know more details, thanks guys.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
i'm gonna ask him today about the cams, and the diagnosis he made that concluded to bad cams

i can't do beisan VANOS rebuild since i'm half way around the globe away from u guys.
the problem is mechanics around here are not very familiar with small tweaks like u guys are. if something is not working well, they simply change the whole thing, they don't bother (not experienced enough) to meddle through. he's a good friend of mine, what seems to be rippin me off is simply doin more work then required :tsk:
will keep u posted once i know more details, thanks guys.
There`s a BIG difference between "mechanics" and "parts changers".....it would seem that your guy falls into the latter category. YOU could rebuild the VANOS yourself, the geography doesn`t mean anything. If you can follow directions, you can do it....

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will see about it, as soon as i contact him, i'll see what he's gonna do, if he's gonna go around and change everything, i'm gonna tell him to keep it as is and go through the DIY guide together at his shop (since i don't have the tools nor the space to work elsewhere).
thanks Bob

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
false alarm, i just talked to him, it's the camshaft sensor that's gonna b changed and not the camshafts themselves (phone misunderstandings)
once i go pick up my car and see what was changed, will fill u guys in :D

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
false alarm, i just talked to him, it's the camshaft sensor that's gonna b changed and not the camshafts themselves (phone misunderstandings)
once i go pick up my car and see what was changed, will fill u guys in :D
Just be aware that failed VANOS seals can also be responsible for generating false CPS codes, so if the new CPS doesn`t solve the "problem", that`s probably where you should look next.

Good luck !

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my car is back on her feet, and boy, as soon as i first got her, i knew exactly what ZHP means :yikes:
the change in performance was un-freaking-believable!! no more idle issues, no more hesitation on start-up, and more and more power :D
changes was, intake camshaft sensor, VANOS rebuild and new NGK spark plugs.
the engine is running much much smoother now, and unbelievably faster :thumbup:
can't wait to have another go with my friend who owns a Z350 and kicked my butt, now he's going against a real ZHP, it's payback time :freakdanc
now i know what it's like driving a ZHP :thumbup:

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can't wait to have another go with my friend who owns a Z350 and kicked my butt, now he's going against a real ZHP, it's payback time :freakdanc
so i had another go with my friend, he got me by half a car length going through 100mph! :bawling: before i fixed it, he got me by 3 car length, i was hoping i would beat him, but it's ok, we both have great cars :thumbup:

our next go will be after i go catless with ebay headers and a remap :D

· ROLL TIDE!
24,184 Posts
so i had another go with my friend, he got me by half a car length going through 100mph! :bawling: before i fixed it, he got me by 3 car length, i was hoping i would beat him, but it's ok, we both have great cars :thumbup:

our next go will be after i go catless with ebay headers and a remap :D
Congrats. You can still beat him in the turns and braking zones!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.