BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trusty ZHP has just found a new home yesterday - I saw her leave my driveway for the last time and head towards her new garage in Wisconsin. Not without sadness, this parting - I had grown so used to its delicate and feelsome steering and the firm-but-not-harsh damping...

While the new owner was poking around and underneath the car, I got the call from my CA - the 335i was ready for pick-up, 7 weeks after I had dropped her off in Munich.

Talk about luck, I was getting ready to drive a friend's minivan until the 335 would be delivered... :D At least they had replaced the front bumper due to some slight shipping damage, so now I have a brand new one without any license plate holes in it. :thumbup:

For sure, the 335i has a beast of an engine, but as I had noted before, the steering is not in the same league as the ZHP. And the dreadful runflats just have to go. I'll get used to it I guess, the engine has the ability to wipe your mind clear of any sad thoughts. :)

Meanwhile, I'll be posting a few items for sale that came off the ZHP (shameless plug).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Congrats! Good timing on the sale and delivery. I hope to be in the same boat in spring... selling the ZHP and taking delivery of a 335i. I too will be sad to see the ZHP go.

Don't forget to change your sig!

·
Registered
306 Posts
NOW you tell me! :rolleyes:

Your first instincts are usually the best. Second guessing only makes it harder, and doesn't change anything.

Hopefully the ZHP went to a good home where it will be properly cared for and thrashed occasionally (you know how they like it rough).

Enjoy the new ride! I am starting to soften a bit towards the new e90/92's, as well.

:thumbup:

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully the ZHP went to a good home where it will be properly cared for and thrashed occasionally (you know how they like it rough).
I think it did. I hear the new owners have already started fighting for the keys... :)

Well, not really, but it seems they enjoy the car.

·
10,856 Posts
Are you giving the 335 a limited slip diff? Every time I drive a 335, it's a nightmarish installment in the "One Tire Fire" series. No power, no acceleration, no sliding. Just smoke. And lots of it.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you giving the 335 a limited slip diff? Every time I drive a 335, it's a nightmarish installment in the "One Tire Fire" series. No power, no acceleration, no sliding. Just smoke. And lots of it.
Not unless I can determine it will be the exact same unit that fits in the 135i. The 335i is a 2 year lease and will most likely be followed by a 135i...

Also, mine is a post-March production so I imagine it has the welded diff ring, which makes installing a limited slip even more costly (you have to pay for the housing too).

So I'll bide my time, test-drive the 135i when it comes out, decide if it's what I want, then investigate all sort of mods - use the 335i as a test bed, if you will.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The runflats aren't "that bad" imo...assuming you got the RE050. My wife's E90 330i has almost 25k miles on it now, and they are almost ready for replacement. She drives fairly agressively, so they've lasted far longer than I would have guessed. For a runflat tire, they are the best I've ever driven on (only other experience was with Pirelli RFs, and they were horrible -- loaner 325i sport pkg 17"). I drive the ZHP and the E90 back to back a lot...I never want to sell the ZHP :) ; however, the E90 ZSP is a lot of fun to drive also.

Good luck with the new car!

Chuck

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The runflats aren't "that bad" imo...assuming you got the RE050.
That's what I got. I suppose dry and wet traction is ok, but here is what I don't like about them:
1. The price. Absolutely insane.
2. Soft suspension. It is my impression that BMW tuned the suspension a lot softer in order to compensate for the stiff RFT sidewalls. But on a track, it makes the car a little floaty in transitions, not the most confidence inspiring thing.
2. Skittering. While in most situations it's ok, cornering flat out and encountering an expansion ridge can scare the [email protected] out of you. Driving the ZHP, I didn't even know that expansion ridge existed...

So at the very least I'll remove the RFT tires and put PS2 instead - PS2 are cheaper, can you imagine? And then towards the lease end, I'll swap the RFT back on.

For a runflat tire, they are the best I've ever driven on
You know what they say about faint praise... :)

Good luck with the new car!
Thanks! It will be an adventure I hope, just like the ZHP before it and the M3 before that...

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
Not unless I can determine it will be the exact same unit that fits in the 135i. The 335i is a 2 year lease and will most likely be followed by a 135i...
Make sure you're happy with the 335i before committing to a 135i. I'm not expecting much of a difference between the two, at least as far as my own frame of reference is concerned.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Make sure you're happy with the 335i before committing to a 135i. I'm not expecting much of a difference between the two, at least as far as my own frame of reference is concerned.
I know the weight difference will not be that big - but weight is not everything. For me it will also be important how the 135 is tuned: steering feel and weight, suspension firmess and damping, brakes etc. After all, it's still a daily driver first, and track toy a distant second.

In the 335i, weight is not really wat bothers me - just some of the damping decisions that BMW has made (the RFT compromise) and the artificially heavy feeling steering at low speeds. And the suspension of course can be changed.

But I won't jump into the 135 blindly - there will be ample opportunity to test drive it before I commit either way - and if I won't like it, I might just go for something else at the end of the lease (main other candidates are 06 M3 ZCP or new Evo X).

In the meantime I have 2 years to enjoy the 335i, or cry after the ZHP. :)

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
I really am curious to see if BMW does anything with the steering in the 135i. I was disappointed with the steering and general feel of the five door rental.

The brakes, I expect, will be excellent - finally!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can you imagine if they came out with a 135i ZHP right off the bat? Slightly tuned ECU with free flowing exhaust (340hp), M-sport suspension, limited slip differential (yeah, right), non-staggered 9x18 with 255/35-18 all around, adjustable front camber out to -3.0 degrees, Alcantara interior, no sunroof, 6MT, huge front rotors. They could price this thing $5k higher than the regular 135i and probably sell every single one of them they could build. Heck, they could call it the 135 tii :). I would prefer they do the above to the 335iT, and I'd be at the dealer today ordering the car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's what I got. I suppose dry and wet traction is ok, but here is what I don't like about them:
1. The price. Absolutely insane.
2. Soft suspension. It is my impression that BMW tuned the suspension a lot softer in order to compensate for the stiff RFT sidewalls. But on a track, it makes the car a little floaty in transitions, not the most confidence inspiring thing.
2. Skittering. While in most situations it's ok, cornering flat out and encountering an expansion ridge can scare the [email protected] out of you. Driving the ZHP, I didn't even know that expansion ridge existed...

So at the very least I'll remove the RFT tires and put PS2 instead - PS2 are cheaper, can you imagine? And then towards the lease end, I'll swap the RFT back on.

You know what they say about faint praise... :)

Thanks! It will be an adventure I hope, just like the ZHP before it and the M3 before that...
You've got the bases covered perfectly, especially the price for new ones which is insanely crazy. I didn't realize how soft the E90 330i ZSP was (since it certainly feels firm in everyday driving) until I threw on the BFG R1 tires I have for the ZHP for autocross and took it to an event this summer. What a shock. The car did "ok" since it wasn't setup for D-Stock like I have the ZHP (larger front bar on full stiff, front camber max'd out, front toe set to zero), but my expectations were a lot higher than my experience. It was nice to be back in the ZHP for the next event.

Chuck

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heck, they could call it the 135 tii :).
That is an awesome marketing idea! :thumbup:

I think it will not happen because it would step on too many M toes - the rumored 340BHP N/A M1 has a far better chance of being produced than a 340BHP turbo version...

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't realize how soft the E90 330i ZSP was (since it certainly feels firm in everyday driving) until I threw on the BFG R1 tires I have for the ZHP for autocross and took it to an event this summer. What a shock.
The way I found out about it was first on the Autostrada between Genoa - Nice and then later confirmed on the Ring. That is why I am also considering 19" rims + tires instead of just tires alone - because I imagine staying with 18" non-RFT tires would make the car feel even softer...

Oh well, car will be ok in daily driving...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh, yeah, it will be fine for everyday driving and plenty of fun on the street. FWIW, here's a video upload I did of the E90 330i at the autocross I took it to. I think you have to click this embed picture twice to get to it.

Chuck

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, yeah, it will be fine for everyday driving and plenty of fun on the street. FWIW, here's a video upload I did of the E90 330i at the autocross I took it to
Nice - doesn't seem to lean very much, in fact it doesn't seem soft at all just from watching the video. When you're in the driver seat, it feels different...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts