BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
On paper, yes. Now, BMWs aren't made to be drag racers. They can actually drive and turn corners, and that's where the beauty lies. A couple of driver education courses or maybe a couple of performance driving events, and you will likely walk away from an untrained 330 ZHP optioned car in the twisties. THAT would be a nice feeling.

If you are concerned about 1/4 mile, get a used Camaro SS or older fox body Mustang, mod it a bit, and beat just about any 3er out there in a short straight line.

·
Registered
438 Posts
mschupp said:
can a zhp beat my 330i in a quarter mile?
No. Wait, is your 330i a zSp? It has to have ZSP to be victorious.

:p

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
they're both about the same, it's a driver's race.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The BMW 330 can run the quarter in the mid-14s in stock stickshift trim. The Camaro Z28/ss will run in the mid/low 13s. The Camaro is a good handling car, it's softer ride makes it handle cmparitively to a new Mustang. People often confuse high spring rates with good handling- fom my experience it isn't true, it's a marketing ploy. The new comp M3 has softer springs than the regular M3, yet they perform handling comparisions comparitively- almost identically, sometimes the comp model exceeds the regular M3. Though the Camaro doesn't have the refinement of the 330 in its driving and cornering - though it will corner comparitively, its a feel thing - the 330 is just more fun, yet whips the 330 in straight-a-ways.

·
trailingthrottleoversteer
4,328 Posts
Matthew330Ci said:
they're both about the same, it's a driver's race.
I'm likin the new sig Matt!

AW rulz!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Below 30 mph you have a 50/50 chance of beating a ZHP. Anything above 30 the ZHP's more aggressive airdam slices a cleaner hole thru the air and you'll lose. The ZHP and Camaro SS run dead even in the quarter mile, depends upon the driver.
:angel:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Your car will win if you let me drive it

mschupp said:
I will beat the owner of a ZHP driving his own car because I don't mind Car&Driver clutch drop starts and abusive shifting when driving your car. My car would be slower when I drive it because I wouldn't be willing to abuse it.

Seriously, you'd need to test 10 different samples of each car, ten times, on ten different days and take averages before any meaningful difference would show.

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
mschupp said:
:google:

Now I just think everyone is trying to be funny. :confused:

Yes... it will beat a "regular" 330... a little more power... a little more aggressive gearing...

now who's trying to "stir the pot?" ;)

·
Keeping it surreal
43,227 Posts
bluejeansonfire said:
The BMW 330 can run the quarter in the mid-14s in stock stickshift trim. The Camaro Z28/ss will run in the mid/low 13s. The Camaro is a good handling car, it's softer ride makes it handle cmparitively to a new Mustang. People often confuse high spring rates with good handling- fom my experience it isn't true, it's a marketing ploy. The new comp M3 has softer springs than the regular M3, yet they perform handling comparisions comparitively- almost identically, sometimes the comp model exceeds the regular M3. Though the Camaro doesn't have the refinement of the 330 in its driving and cornering - though it will corner comparitively, its a feel thing - the 330 is just more fun, yet whips the 330 in straight-a-ways.
You`re absolutely correct....a *compliant* suspension is much more important than a stiff one if you need good everyday driveability....older Jag sedans were always praised for their great ride & handling, the reason for this is, in addition to a good IRS design, they employed relatively soft spring rates, and controlled them by using two shocks per side. A setup like this gives a little more initial lean on turn-in, but a very high overall level of grip & comfort. This is almost impossible to achieve with a solid-axle car, as the suspension has to deal with the weight of the axles, diff, brakes, etc. (Oh yeah, another thing Jag did was use inboard disc brakes that were mounted right next to the diff....what a f-in` nightmare to change them out....)

Regards,
Bob

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
tehkao said:
So BMWUSA was full of it when they claimed that the ZHP is 0.5 seconds faster 0-60 than the stock 330?
No... it's true... and so is every other test and comparison. The ZHP version is quicker.

·
2,262 Posts
Frank Rizzo said:
I'm likin the new sig Matt!

AW rulz!!
You bet it does!!! :thumbup:

where did your sig go?

·
2,262 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts