BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I go trolling every friday and Saturday. He has a 2004 Matrix XRS with a Injen Cold Air intake. Right now he has really bad tires so he can't really launch correctly. If he did have good tires i think he would be running about 15.2 - 15.3. From a 40 MPH roll its a different story. I walk him, but ever slightly. (I have a 330i ZHP 5 speed). From a 60 MPH roll, i have the advantage, i beat him by at least 2 car lengths. Do you guys think that i Stand a chance when this guy in his matrix gets better tires?

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Your ZHP has 5 speeds? Interesting...

·
trailingthrottleoversteer
4,328 Posts
wingspan said:
My Prius has SMG.........(see avitar)...

:thumbup:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
wingspan said:
Isn't the automatic a 5 speed? :dunno:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes the automatic is a 5 speed. thats why i said i have a 5 speed

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
bbelt88 said:
yes the automatic is a 5 speed. thats why i said i have a 5 speed
Ok, I understand. My bad.

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
bbelt88 said:
My friend and I go trolling every friday and Saturday. He has a 2004 Matrix XRS with a Injen Cold Air intake. Right now he has really bad tires so he can't really launch correctly. If he did have good tires i think he would be running about 15.2 - 15.3. From a 40 MPH roll its a different story. I walk him, but ever slightly. (I have a 330i ZHP 5 speed). From a 60 MPH roll, i have the advantage, i beat him by at least 2 car lengths. Do you guys think that i Stand a chance when this guy in his matrix gets better tires?
I highly doubt it a step 330ZHP should have the advantage even if he has better tires. Even with a CAI he cant be pushing no more than 200hp on a front wheel drive car.

·
Spelling Impaired
5,658 Posts
Double Vanos said:
I highly doubt it a step 330ZHP should have the advantage even if he has better tires. Even with a CAI he cant be pushing no more than 200hp on a front wheel drive car.
The Matrix XRS as the option of AWD doesn't it? Might make for some rather quick starts versus one that was pushing all the power through the front wheels. The tranny might be geared a little low.

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
Desertnate said:
The Matrix XRS as the option of AWD doesn't it? Might make for some rather quick starts versus one that was pushing all the power through the front wheels. The tranny might be geared a little low.
AWD? Are you sure i thought it just came in front wheel drive. :confused:

·
Happy Trails!
2,893 Posts
Double Vanos said:
AWD? Are you sure i thought it just came in front wheel drive. :confused:
It is available in FWD or AWD, however the XRS model with the 170HP engine is only available with FWD.

You see a lot of AWD ones around these parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i believe it only comes in fwd. but w/e

If you could guess, what do u think the diff between a 330i ZHP Manual and a Automatic is.
Quarter Mile?
0-62?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just thought i would put a random story in. Tonight I burned my friends 1997 Volvo 850, once from a 40 MPH Role, and once from a dig and i gave him a 3 car length head start. Beat him by at least 5 car lengths each time. :)

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
bbelt88 said:
Just thought i would put a random story in. Tonight I burned my friends 1997 Volvo 850, once from a 40 MPH Role, and once from a dig and i gave him a 3 car length head start. Beat him by at least 5 car lengths each time. :)
Sounds like ZHP performance to me. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hell Yea

·
Registered
5 Posts
Desertnate said:
The XRS only comes in FWD, but the gearing allows it to easily get to 138 mph where the govener kicks in.

gojira-san said:
It is available in FWD or AWD, however the XRS model with the 170HP engine is only available with FWD.

You see a lot of AWD ones around these parts.
XRS model only comes with FWD, XR's have a 4wd option, but thoose are rare, and only use the 1zzfe engine. The 03/04 matrixs come with 180 hp engine, and only lose about 10% hp to the wheels, resulting in about 164 whp stock. The new 2005 has a retuned ecu that engages the Lift Intelligence (VVTL-I) at a later point resulting in only 170 engine hp.

Double Vanos said:
The XRS, like my car (which shares the same engine block btw), makes use of less power by having less weight. The Matrix weighs in at 2600 lbs (that is just 50 more lbs than a Mini!). The XRS only comes with a stick, so being able to launch vs. you in an automatic, will give him a bit of help. What tires is he getting? I don't know if he will beat you from the line, but with good enough tires, it will only help him.

I hope all this clarifies. I know a lot about the Matrix, especially the XRS because I own a 2005 Lotus Elise 111R which shares the same engine as the XRS (and Celica GT-S). I am not really a big fan of the Lotus forums so I spend most of my time at Matrix and Celica forums to learn of engine tips.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
2zzgepower said:
The XRS only comes in FWD, but the gearing allows it to easily get to 138 mph where the govener kicks in.

XRS model only comes with FWD, XR's have a 4wd option, but thoose are rare, and only use the 1zzfe engine. The 03/04 matrixs come with 180 hp engine, and only lose about 10% hp to the wheels, resulting in about 164 whp stock. The new 2005 has a retuned ecu that engages the Lift Intelligence (VVTL-I) at a later point resulting in only 170 engine hp.

The XRS, like my car (which shares the same engine block btw), makes use of less power by having less weight. The Matrix weighs in at 2600 lbs (that is just 50 more lbs than a Mini!). The XRS only comes with a stick, so being able to launch vs. you in an automatic, will give him a bit of help. What tires is he getting? I don't know if he will beat you from the line, but with good enough tires, it will only help him.
Not to diss the ricers, but XRS weighs 2800 lbs according to Toyota.com. Also, the engine in XRS may make good horsepower numbers, but it sucks in bottom end torque. And why do the ricers always claim that their car puts more power to wheels than the competition? I guess I'll have to re-read the ricer rules.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cwsqbm said:
Not to diss the ricers, but XRS weighs 2800 lbs according to Toyota.com. Also, the engine in XRS may make good horsepower numbers, but it sucks in bottom end torque. And why do the ricers always claim that their car puts more power to wheels than the competition? I guess I'll have to re-read the ricer rules.
That is an 05 XRS which adds extra weight over the 04 and 03 cars. And I would be happy to give you a 2zzge dyno chart on what ever car you wish. The torque number is low on a 2zzge, but my car doesn't seem to need it, I don't know about a Matrix. Most cars with dual camshaft setups seem to lack in the torque department, this engine is no exception, but with a 8500 rpm redline (for my car) I think the engine is a blast. It is a bit like a the S54 (M3 Engine), high redline and HP, not so good torque.

I also point out the power to the wheels because the Matrix and Toyota/Yamaha Engine and Transmission are extremly good at eliminating parasitic power loss to the wheels.

By the way I don't really get your rice comment. I don't own an Asian car.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
2zzgepower said:
By the way I don't really get your rice comment. I don't own an Asian car.
Well, given that you've just started posting here, I'll explain. Bimmerfest seems a bit less street-racy than a typical internet forum. Go to E46fanatics.com for that. However, right away, in your first post ever, you start claiming how the 170 horses found under the hood of the Matrix are stronger than the average German horse. I've street raced a Celica GTS at both low and high speeds, and it wasn't even close either time. The auto-equipped 330 is a dog for the first few feet compared to the manual trans, but after that its pretty quick.

Next you claim low weights, and then say its the 05 that's heavier. 200 lbs increase in one year? If it was a complete restyle, maybe, but its a carry over model.

Finally, you don't have to own a Asian car to be a ricer. Its a mentality of twisting the facts. Just because a heavily gutted and modded turbo'd Civic/Toyota/Whatever can run 8's in the 1/4, doesn't mean a stock Matrix with full interior on street tires with a CAI can run 14's. The Lotus is a cool car; we had one at the last Windy City BMW car club track day up at Road America. Here's a picture of it: :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts