Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirojoe View Post
next step is a rack
In the bestlinks thread, I just did a browser find (control f) for "steering rack" and only found this ... hope it helps:
- Steering Rack replacement (528i/no pics)
Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 5281
Thanks BB. Alot of helpful info there. Maybe I can talk the mechanic into letting me in on the work beings that he misdiagnosised the problem.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 540i 6sp '01 X5 4.4
I had similar symptoms, but the effort wasn't consistant enough that I just lived with this intermittent issue until one left turn too many and I heard a load bam/bang under the hood and all steering assist disappeared...ran 3 or 4 lights trying to keep the engine from boiling, not realizing that the serpentine belt was back at the bam/bang spot on the pavement.

Needless to say, I shut the car down when I knew I could coast into Harmony Motorworks...needle never did peg, but it was climbing fast. One power steering pump later, I was cruzin'...I have no idea if I did a fluid change when the prob first reared its ugly head would have prevented this, but @ 90k I guess I got-off easy.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi; 1998-528i
Old thread - but no one has mentioned here that the stiff steering could come from the lower steering shaft u-Joint. Apparently if one uses some kind of rust remover like liquid wrench or WD-40 and then greases with lithium grease (after an overnight soak in the WD-40) then the stiffness goes away.

Does anyone have any pics of what has to be done to get access to the lower steering shaft on an E39 (1998 528i(
Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, the hard steering question came up again today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Power Steering Failure Symptoms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
I have an issue with my power steering. It feels "heavy", like there is little power assist at standstill or low speeds. It feels fine once I am moving faster. Not a major problem and something that can wait until the snow melts before I tackle it. I noticed this issue after the car sat for a month this winter while I was gone. When I noticed it a few weeks ago, I thought initially that it might be either my snow tires or low ATF. The ATF was a bit low so I added a bit. No change to the steering. After I changed the snow tires out last week, there was still no difference. The ATF level is still fine. Hence, I see no obvious reason for this issue. I tried searching for symptoms of a failing power steering pump but came up empty. I have the DIY for replacing the pump and will do the fix if I can confirm the cause of my problem. My questions are:

1. Has anyone ever felt a "heavy" steering wheel? If yes, what was the cause?
2. For anyone that has replaced their power steering pump, what were the symptoms prior to your replacement?

Any feedback is appreciated.
See also these found by searching titles only in the E39 forum here for "hard steering" ...
Old 03-31-2015, 02:32 AM

Send a message via MSN to 3aboodation
Mein Auto: '03 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
If PS Reservoir level is OK, then bad steering comes from either:
1. Bad PS Pump
2. Bad Steering Rack
Or both.
Agree with #2 , my steering rack's leaking , and the mechanic told me that I must fix it ASAP or the steering wheel will be rough
Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 AM
nuxDesign

Mein Auto: E39 M5 / E39 530i
what points exactly would be good to spray with wd40 to see if it helps?

above #7? are there other joints or bushings not pictured in the diagram that would be good to spray as well???

where would the rack be leaking exactly? at the boot?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 AM

what i did

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBurrell View Post
what points exactly would be good to spray with wd40 to see if it helps?

above #7? are there other joints or bushings not pictured in the diagram that would be good to spray as well???

where would the rack be leaking exactly? at the boot?
what #7 are you referring to?

I cleaned the u-joints off on my steering shaft with a spray and then greased them with lithium grease becasue it sticks, and it is awkward reaching he joints from beside the driver's wheel well.

While I was under the car changing the transmission fluid, I noticd that there is good visual and therefore manual access to the steering shaft from under the car.

I have / had a leak on the right (passenger in northamerica) side of the steering rack itself - there was fluid on the rubber boot covering the inner tie rod which comes from the rack. There is a procedure to replace the seals there without removing the rack. Until I am prepared to do this (it involves taking out little bits of the end of the rack), I drained the steering reservoir beside the oil filter and put in fluid that is supposed to swell up the seals and take care of the leak over 100 - 300 kilometers. I'm still in prcess to see if it works, but my steering is fine at the present time.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aboodation View Post
Agree with #2 , my steering rack's leaking , and the mechanic told me that I must fix it ASAP or the steering wheel will be rough
Jorgen Automotive in Ann Arbor, MI has pretty competitive pricing for rebuilding late-model BMW steering racks. They quoted me ~$300 last year, which beats the heck out of buying a new rack ($800+).

Although ECS carries reman'd racks from a company called Maval, for $634, including $275 core. Might not be a bad choice if you can't go more than a weekend without your car, while waiting on the rack to be rebuilt by Jorgen.

For me, Jorgen is worth the wait and the slight savings, because they're local
Old 04-27-2015, 11:11 AM
nuxDesign

I was asking where on the diagram to clean and re-grease. Ill search what the U-Joints are because I am a newbie at some of this.

would anyone know of where this thread is about repairing and resealing the rack?? If I cant find it. Ill take a picture of where I think Im leaking.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 AM
nuxDesign

I was referring to this diagram. I do not see U-joints. Are there any places on the rack itself to re-grease?

Again, Im sorry. I must be an idiot.

Awesome idea though whoever came up with the diagnosing of the rack to see if its the pump or the rack or the ball joints.

I had done a similar test the other day when I lifted my front end. All I did though was turn the car on and steer left and then right and left and right and it wasn't rough to turn. I could feel it being not smooth either though. I cant describe how it felt. obviously it was much easier though. I do think I do have leaking at the rack though.

Do I need to do this test with the car off to get an accurate feel to see if its rack or pump?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
The U-joint is between the rack and the steering column. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	132.png
Views:	36
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	506291  
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM

Yes. Travis you're looking at the wrong diagram. It's the one shown by HockeyTowner. It's the stuff at the bottom.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Respect my authoritay!

Send a message via Skype™ to Zerodynamic
Mein Auto: 2001 540i6
What would you use to regrease the joint? Any particular interval? (like inspection II)
Old 04-27-2015, 01:59 PM

I use lithium grease - the thicker clear stuff, not the thin white stuff in a tube. I would imagine once a year after winter would be good to hose the joint down with WD-40 or PB Blaster and then get under the car for better access and lube all moving rotating parts in the compound U-joint.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 PM
nuxDesign

How the hell do you guys reach up in there?

I feel like the last ten posts were "that's what she said".