Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05Accord Cpe,'07Wrangler
My 750iAH Trip Report

My ED has started. Reporting live from Munich.

7:15 AM: Just landed. Will try to locate the showers, meet Rolf and then it's off to the Welt. Raining here. Luckily no snow.....yet.

8:30 AM: In the car with Rolf. Just started snowing. Headed to the Welt

9:00 AM: Arrived at the Welt

9:15 AM: Check in complete. Delivery scheduled for 9:50 AM. in the line to freshen up and have breakfast.

11:00 AM: Delivery complete. 2 victory laps, many delivery pics.

12:00 PM: quick lunch in the premium lounge, picked up snacks for the rest of the day at the café on the first floor

Decided to drop the factory tour in favor of a quick tour of the city per Rolf recommendation. Will do the factory tour during PCD anyways.

Saw the motorcycle show, explored the Welt, got my key ring and a couple of souvenirs. Also saw the new 3 series and the M5.

Heading to Login out next to do drop off paperwork as I well be dropping the car of on Sunday. Then to check into the Marriott and tour the city.

2:00 PM: Checked put the museum. Drove to Login out, paperwork done, all set to drop off Sunday morning.

Wondering if I should drive somewhere or go check or the city...difficult choice.

3:00 PM: Checked into the Marriott, will go back to Welt for parking and then take subway into the city for some sight seeing.

5:30 PM: Snow and rain ruined my sight seeing plans, but I salvaged my evening by finding my way to the Hofbrauhaus....nuff said...

Some really nice Germans teaching me how to eat crispy roasted pork knuckles....on my 2nd liter of beer...

Will head back to Marriott after this and plan for an early start tomorrow.

1:25 AM: Woke up after a nap. Too much beer + pork knuckles will do that. Updated B'fest with more pics and first impressions. Will also plan my route for tomorrow. Got my own Stein...

First impressons
- Very fast car. The star stop feature is a little weird, but it doesn't bother me so much. I especially love the feel of the car in Sport mode. Doing 130 mph keeping it under 3K RPM is easy....
- The very first message I got from the car was that I was over the speed limit..its that fast..
- Standard nappa leather feels very luxurious
- HUD is awesome. Found myself using it a lot, hardly ever look at the dash anymore...
- The HUD keeps warning me of exceeding the speed limit every few minutes, very annoying, but thats a safety function so i wont complain
- The car can play music directly from a usb stick. For some reason, the car did not recognize many songs like this. I then imported about 8 gig's of music onto the standard 12 gig drive. Now I can play all the songs. Also, music import needs to be done only from the usb port in the dash. You cannot do this from the armrest.
- I had to pair the car bluetooth with my phone multiple times. It just wouldnt connect. This maybe an issue with the phone (Samsung Infuse, Android)
- I love the Driver assistance package. Lots of use for the HUD. Also like the cameras + lane departure+ blind spot. Well worth it.
- The safety triangle is in a tray thats attached to the trunk lid. do i need to remove the entire tray? It looks like a permanent fixture.

Some surprises
- It has the steering with the chrome insert. Its also the thicker steering ie sport steering
- The car comes standard with ventilated seats
- No waive your leg under the bumper to open trunk. at least I couldn't get it to work. The delivery person did not know.
- No led's on the door handles like the F10 - Correction, the car has the LED's on the handles...noticed it later..
- The car comes standard with the smart phone integration. The only thing required is the cradle
- No powered rear screen. Those who can still get this added for free should do it. I didn't get it. Its not standard. I personally believe its free with the rear entertainment system....to block sunlight on the screens
- I ordered fineline matt trim. For some reason my car came with fineline gloss......little disappointed with this..

6:30 AM: Ready to leave for the day..taking my luggage with me, so if I get late getting to Salzburg, I will stay there and go to airport directly tomorrow. headed to the Welt to pick up car.

7:00 AM: Picked till car, fueled up and ready to leave. Enter Fussen in nav but it doesn't exist..confused, only option is Fussenberg...select and drive...

8:00 AM: Figured I am headed in totally the wrong direction. Enjoying the drive nonetheless. Still can't find Fussen. Finally decided to user phone GPS and on my way.

8:30 AM: started snowing, car nav says I am driving nowhere.continue to use phone.

9:00 AM: The snow is coming down real hard. My phone GPS is taking me via a smaller highway....B16. 30 mph average...

10:30 AM: finally in Fussen snow has reduced. Looking for THE castle..car nav still not cooperating.still using phone....hey wait, there's a Mc Donalds....need something to eat

Things not really going per plan...but I am trying to make the best of it...

12:00 PM: Saw the castle, took some pictures. Headed to Oberammergau.

1:00: Lost my way, ended up on a pass to Austria that was backed up solid.after wasting 40 minutes decided to turn around, tried too do a turn in one of the pull offs and got stuck on the snow. Managed to get out by disabling the traction control, taking out snow from front if the back tires, rocking it back and forth and eventually flooring it. This put me back on my way to Austria. I was just sitting in traffic and decided to make a u turn right on the pass. Success at last.

1:45 PM: Car nav decides to take the scenic route to Oberammergau. I think it was B198. Big mistake. About 45 kilometers of one lane road, lord of snow and no cars, no people and no Towns in sight. After my experience with getting stuck on the pass, I was wondering if I was going to make it to Oberammergau. 15 miles in, my gas is low. Decided I would keep going. There were multiple risky situations including almost getting stuck, getting pushed into the piled up snow on the side by oncoming vehicles, etc.

2:30 PM: Arrived in Oberammergau. Filled up (115 Euro....ouch!).

3:00 PM: Had a coffee at a cafe wondering what I should do next. Should I proceed to Mittenwald or go back to Munich. After my experiences getting stuck in the snow and the isolated road to Oberammergau, I was a little worried. Decide to drive to Mittenwald.

5:30 PM: Saw Mittenwald and everything on the way. Its stopped snowing and raining, temperatures are rising but its getting dark. Decide to continue driving the Alpenstrasse.

7:30 PM: Happy I decided to continue. This drive was the highlight of my trip . Temperatures up to about 40 degrees. Not snowing anymore. roads dried up a little. Pushing the car through the twisties and had a blast. Drove through Wallgau, Walchensee, Kochel, Benediktbeuern, Bad Told, Rottach Egern, Gmund and Hausham. Decide to use the Autobahn to drive directly to Salzburg so I can be there in time for dinner. Also a little tired.

8:45 PM: Driving past the border into Austria. Big signs saying Vignettes sold here. My first instinct was that I was just going into Salzburg for an hour or so, did I really need it? Passed by the fist place that sold them. Then changed my mind to buy it and luckily there was a second rest area that sold it. I'm glad I did. Read more to know why..

10:00 PM: Arrived in Salzburg. Drove around for a good hour finding a place to eat. Was disappointed as the place was isolated, there was cars parked everywhere but I couldnt see too many people. I was also quite nervous about parking my car on the street there. Just didnt get a comfortable feeling. Decided, I would drive back to Munich and then have dinner. Turned abround and left for Munich.

10: 10 PM: On the Autobahn, on my way back to Munich. Cruising along at 120 kmph (speed limit). Have two 5 series on my tail that are keeping up. all of a sudden 1 of them moves to the left lane and passes me. He must have floored it, coz he must be doing at least 150-160 when he passed me. He comes back into the center lane about 3-4 seconds ahead of me and a lot of LED's saying "POLIZEI" come on. The passenger side window opens and they are waiving a light wand asking me follow them into a side area with a gate that opens up. I am being pulled over by the Austrian police. First thing they do when they come over is to look at the Vignette ( I luckily bought it). Then the conversation goes as below:

Officer 1: Can I see the papers to the car, your passport and your drivers licence please?
Me: My paperwork is in the trunk, can I get out and take it out. Hand over drivers licence.
Officer 1: What are you doing in Austria? Where are you coming from? Where did you get the car? Follows me to the trunk
Me: I was visiting for dinner. Coming from Munich. Got my car from BMW in Munich under the European Delivery program. I picked it up on Friday, and will drop it off on Sunday and am flying back to the USA
Officer 2 (lady): Looking inside the car, between the seats, etc. Looking at the VIN plate inside the drivers side door.
Officer 2: This car is for export to USA. From looking at the plate on the side of the car.
Officer 1: Checks the paperwork, licence, pokes a flashlight in my face to see if I was the same person as in the photo on passport.
Officer 2: Comes around and looks at the paperwork and they are discussing.
Officer 1: Ok you can go. Hands over all paperwork
Officer 2: checking out my car...
Me: Thank you. Nice police car you guys have.
Officer 2: Yes, its nice, but not half as nice as yours. MADE MY DAY.....

11:45 PM: Arrive at the Marriott in Munich. requested them to park my car in front of lobby entrance as I didnt want to pay so much money for the deck just for a few hours and didnt want to park my $100k car on the street. They obliged and said they would call me if there was an emergency as that was a fire lane. I decided to go directly to bed so I can head out early.

12:00 AM: Reflecting on my day and suddenly feeling all refreshed. Wondering if I should head out for a few more hours of driving before drop-off. Was wondering if Dachau was just an open site and I could just drive there. Looked it up online and they have set hours. Drop the plan and go back to sleep, but cant stop smiling.

5:45 AM: Ready to check out and head for the airport.

6:20 AM: Arrive at Login-out in the airport. Took me all of 18 minutes to get to the airport. Decided to drive it like i stole it...and enjoyed every bit of it.

7:20 AM: Spent an hour taking various pictures of the car (will post shortly) and decided to head to the terminal as my flight was at 9:30 AM. It was sad to say goodbye, but now I am looking forward to a quick reunion.

Special note: Warning triangle holder.

As this is discussed quite a bit in recent days, I decided to take some tools with me. I ended up taking a Torx kit as well as a regular screw driver kit. I took out the triangle, the first aid kit and a couple of other things in the holder. The holder itself is like a tray that is permanently fixed. Looked like the only way I would get it out would be to take out the lining in the trunk. I decided not to do anything about it. Hopefully they wont take it out.

To be continued....

Pictures added in this post

ED 01/20/2012: 2012 750i ActiveHybrid | Deep Sea Blue with Saddle and Black Nappa leather | Driver Assistance Package

Read my ED Trip report here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595402

Read about my 2014 Deal of the year here
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=807365

Last edited by iwantone; 01-24-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: F80 and F01
Congrats !!!! I have been following most of your posts... This is a Super exciting time for you... Take lots of pics and videos !!!

Have Fun!!!

On Order:15 Ferrari Cali T
Current:15 M3,15 F01
Previous:15 M4'14 Quotroporte V8tt'14 F33 EB2,14 Ferrari Cali,14 F15 N63tu,13 991 C4S Cab,14 F15 N63tu,11 W212W4d,13 Chrysler T&C,13 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park,13 F12,13 W212W4,12 E70d,12 F01 hybrid,12 MDX, '11 LS3 Camaro Cab,12 E70d,11 E89,11 GLK350,11 E70,11 C300,10 MDX,09 E93, 09 Civic,07 E70,06 E90,05CR-V SE,04Accord EXLV6, 01Accord EXLV6,00 Maxima,93 E190,91Accord,88Accord,86Accord
Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 AM
On Order 750LiAh

Mein Auto: F01
Wow! The party has begun...this is gonna be fun! Can't wait for your pics and impressions! Tell us thirsty-eared Bimmer owners-in-waiting EVERYTHING! LOL! Enjoy this, my friend!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantone View Post

7:15 AM: Just landed. Will try to locate the showers, meet Rolf and then it's off to the Welt. Raining here. Luckily no snow.....yet.

9:15 AM: Check in complete. Delivery scheduled for 9:50 AM. in the line to freshen up and have breakfast.

Stay tuned.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer

ED 01/20/2012: 2012 750i ActiveHybrid | Deep Sea Blue with Saddle and Black Nappa leather | Driver Assistance Package

Read my ED Trip report here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595402

Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:

Stay tuned.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:02 AM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
How is your new 750iah treating you? 10 more days for us!

So after landing at 715a you had time for a shower and still met Rolf at 8:30? Very efficient!

Enjoy and congrats!

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Enjoy the trip. Eagerly waiting for pics and videos.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
How is your new 750iah treating you? 10 more days for us!

So after landing at 715a you had time for a shower and still met Rolf at 8:30? Very efficient!

Enjoy and congrats!
No shower....it was out of order..Rolf advised me to skip the shower and just use some perfume....haha...I believe that's how the Germans did it....

Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM

12 Hr. compliance

12 Hr. compliance pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3047.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	308983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3053.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	308984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3057.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	308985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	308986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3079.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	308987  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3081.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	308988  

Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
No shower....it was out of order..Rolf advised me to skip the shower and just use some perfume....haha...I believe that's how the Germans did it....

I'm guessing thats how the wife and I will roll too.

Great pictures!

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: ActiveHybrid 7 LI
haha!! aswesome man, im happy for you! car looks great!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: M3
K,
Awesome pics.

Can you please post a pic of the truck too? Just eager to see how much the truck space is compromised.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
Wow! Great looking car! I can't wait to hear your driving impressions... Also, any pics of the interior would be much appreciated, I've ordered the same combo.

750i ActiveHybrid - 3/12/2012 ED, 5/10/2012 PCD - Imperial Blue Metallic, Saddle and Black Nappa, Driver Assist, Luxury Seating, Ceramic Controls, Shadowline Exterior, Apps, Sirius
Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: '08 M3 Vert
Awesome! You're the man!

Love the signs 'Thanks Greg Poland' and 'Thanks Bimmerfest'!!! Well deserved thank you for Greg for sure---that dude is the best!

Have fun!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skris View Post
K,
Awesome pics.

Can you please post a pic of the truck too? Just eager to see how much the truck space is compromised.

Thanks.
will post it tonight

Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino15 View Post
Wow! Great looking car! I can't wait to hear your driving impressions... Also, any pics of the interior would be much appreciated, I've ordered the same combo.
Many more coming tonight...along with my first impressions..

Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Fantastic!

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750 Hybrid
Congratulations!!! I've been eagerly waiting for you to post pics, you sure didn't disappoint!!! Have a safe trip!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Does it come with the sports steering wheel?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
750 looks great in that color.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: ActiveHybrid 7 LI
yes great question...which steering wheel??
Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012AH7 View Post
Does it come with the sports steering wheel?
Short answer......yes....I do believe its the sport steering...with the chrome trim...will post a picture later tonight

Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
750 looks great in that color.
I love the color......

Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Smile

Quote:
Short answer......yes....I do believe its the sport steering...with the chrome trim...will post a picture later tonight

Great! Thank you!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Nice!!! Great color combo.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)FOR SALE(see ad on BMWCCA website)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg