Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 528I and 740IL
EVAP Purge Valve Flow

My service egine light came on my 2000 528i and the code show P0441 EVAP Incorrect Purge Flow. I need to know where the Purge Valve is located on my 528i, under the hood it has a diagram but I don't quite know what it look like. Can someone show me an diagram what the Purge Valve Flow look like, and actually where it located on my car. I know it on the driver side under valve cover but I don't know what it suppose to look like.

I'm still learning. Can someone please help me out with this situation. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530I/Stick Blown
Under the intake manifold and close to the front.

See pic....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Purge_valve.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	280897  
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 528I and 740IL
I learn something about my 528i

I thank you so much for the information you have given me. I was looking over it the whole time not really knowing what I was looking for. Your picture was very helpful. Thanks again.

Hasamu
Old 11-25-2011, 03:50 PM
DKUHCreations

Mein Auto: 2000 528i autoSP///Silver
i have the same code that pulled up on my 2000 528i i just bought .

so did changeing just the "purge flow valve" in the photo/ work or did you also need to change the EGR ?

thkx to "SEARCH" button !!
Black Leather
Silver Paint
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I'm trying to find this purge valve in my E39 diagrams.

Is 'this' it?

What does it to (i.e., how does it work)?

- Fuel Preparation System => Fuel injection system => FUEL TANK BREATHER VALVE
- 01 FUEL TANK BREATHER VALVE Qty=1 PN=13901433603 $82.88

Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
That's it. The DME controls it. One hose goes to the charcoal cannister that is connected to the fuel tank.
The other hose connects to the intake manifold
The charcoal absorbs fuel vapors, in the old days the tank was vented to atmosphere.
The purge valve allows the vapors to be sucked out of the charcoal and into the engine.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 528iT
I had this code. My Indy Mechanic traced to a leaky hose behind the rear driver side wheel.
He also showed me an M3 with the same broken hose.
He installed a used hose.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
That's it. The DME controls it. One hose goes to the charcoal cannister that is connected to the fuel tank.
The other hose connects to the intake manifold
The charcoal absorbs fuel vapors, in the old days the tank was vented to atmosphere.
The purge valve allows the vapors to be sucked out of the charcoal and into the engine.
Bluebee, I still think this might be the source of your elusive vacuum leak and excessive lean condition, since your missing gas filler cap allows the tank to vent to the atmosphere. The manifold may be effectively vented all the way back to your filler neck.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
That's it.
Thanks for explaining HOW it worked! I'm not sure exactly 'where' the hose connects 'near' the idle control valve ... nor what the charcoal canister looks like - but, to add value where I can, I did my best to leverage both 16Valex' & your information by adding it to this thread as the following annotation (see post #78 for the details):
- What is this engine part? (Getting to know my M54 engine bay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
this might be the source of your elusive vacuum leak and excessive lean condition, since your missing gas filler cap allows the tank to vent to the atmosphere. The manifold may be effectively vented all the way back to your filler neck.
Interesting. Thank you for thinking of me. I 'still' haven't figured out where my vacuum leak is ... so I appreciate your concern.

I 'did' replace the gas cap, a while ago. I never did find mine (after running the experiment for the team) ... so I bought a new one.
- Experimental results removing the fuel filler cap (aka gas cap) on the BMW E39 with resulting OBDII DTC fault and drive cycle reset (1) (2)

I still haven't looked at the BACK of the engine (where I know there are some SAP hoses to check) ... so that's my next battling-vacuum-leaks destination!
- Does the order of the misfire OBDII DTCs diagnostic trouble codes actually matter (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbro View Post
I had this code. My Indy Mechanic traced to a leaky hose behind the rear driver side wheel.
It would be nice to have a PHOTO of the E39 charcoal canister tucked up under the driver side rear wheel well. The best I can find is this picture but I don' think it's even from an E39.

Does anyone have a good photo of the E39 charcoal canister in situ?

Last edited by bluebee; 11-26-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
Bluebee, I still think this might be the source of your elusive vacuum leak and excessive lean condition
I hadn't noticed that I hadn't closed this one.
I resolved that lean-condition misfire problem, and reported the entire task, with a dozen pictures, over here:
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1)

See also this recent purge valve thread:
- Purge control valve vac hose help!