Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Operation "Hockey Puck" - E46 Jack Stand Adapter

Since I posted this thread on jacking up the car

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ing+up+the+car

(and having been criticized by some for not being safe) I've been thinking how to improve the safety of putting the car on jack stands using factory jack pads and jack stands with common saddle configuration. I first cut small maple wooden blocks to fill the pad with and increase the contact surface of the pad and jack stand.

But I still wanted an adaptor. I found a couple of products online but they all had their drawbacks, were too expensive or not longer available.

So, thought I'd share this with you.

I recalled having read about people using hockey pucks to jack up the car and decided to make an E46 hockey puck jack stand adapter. The cost is $1.50 per puck and 30 minutes of cutting and filing I made it, tested it and should say that I'm 100% happy with the result. The car is not going anywhere using these adapters. The idea is to use the jack stands with the saddle that is as flat as possible. They are available in many weight categories - 2 1/4, 3 and 6 tons.

The adapter looks rough because I used only a hack saw, a double cut file and a c-clamp to make it. But it does the job.

Last edited by Starless; 09-03-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Outstanding ! Go to the head of the class, Alex !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Fast Bob seems to be the only one excited about my puck adapter

I'm heading down to the basement right now to make 2 more of those (I already have 2)

Happy Labor Day everybody!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Boogety Boogety

Mein Auto: 325Ci
I like it too. Brilliant!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Un-Registered User

Mein Auto: 01 325CiC, 2006 ZHP
Pucking Cool!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:07 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
This is very awesome! Clearly you don't have 4 kids and a wife with all that time on your hands!

I think I must needs make some of these. I wonder where I can get a hockey puck in my neck of the woods. We don't play hockey down here......

BUT ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-05-2010, 02:15 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Dude...that's awesome!

Gives me an idea for my racing jack, since the jack point on the front in the center/middle of the car is not that strong.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:18 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Dude...that's awesome!

Gives me an idea for my racing jack, since the jack point on the front in the center/middle of the car is not that strong.
That is interesting. On my car which has the older triangular brace, the front jack point is very strong and I use it all the time. I wonder if you could just bolt on the older triangle support?

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
That was my user error should have put the rubber pad on. Was in a rush to change my oil before the sun went down. Just for ref the 05s have the rectangular ones.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
This is very awesome! Clearly you don't have 4 kids and a wife with all that time on your hands!

I think I must needs make some of these. I wonder where I can get a hockey puck in my neck of the woods. We don't play hockey down here......

BUT ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!
Not 4, one is more than enough for us But this car is my only hobby, spending most of my free time with my family I need a break once in a while for a diy project

Looking for a hockey puck I went to Walmart and Target - nothing, Dick's sporting goods - nothing. I came across the place called "Total Hockey" and it was my luck that on that day they had sold 150 pucks to a school team and were sold out. There is a skating ring 5 minutes away from my house and I stopped by to ask, to my surprise thay had a little store selling pucks among other ice hockey stuff and even a vending machine with pucks among snacks. So it was not that easy to find. They are $1.50 - $1.75 online (before shipping).

Last edited by Starless; 09-05-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
Great idea, will have to try this. Did my rear brakes today, have the fronts left to do, the lack of central jack points ticking me off again, you like the frame rails?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Yes, the I jack the front under the front part of the frame rail on one side , put a jack stand and move to the same location of the frame rail on the other side to put it on the stand. It works really well for me. Rear is simple - U-brace near the differential.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
That is interesting. On my car which has the older triangular brace, the front jack point is very strong and I use it all the time. I wonder if you could just bolt on the older triangle support?
The aluminum plate that replaced the triangular brace seems to provide a good bit of protection against road debris. It probably also improves undercar aerodynamics.

The jack point isn't the aluminum plate itself; it's the front subframe directly above the embossed oval. The oval crushes easily, even when you use a jack with a rubber-cushioned saddle. Mine looks awful. Starless' jackstand adapter has me thinking about making an adapter for the oval.

Nice job, Starless!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
Guys, What a jack point are you using, on the order to to put car on the stand?

I have use middle of the car and metal is deformed a little, then move to close the front of the car right near the jack point, but metal is deformed too.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter

Last edited by phlfly; 09-07-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
The aluminum plate that replaced the triangular brace seems to provide a good bit of protection against road debris. It probably also improves undercar aerodynamics.

The jack point isn't the aluminum plate itself; it's the front subframe directly above the embossed oval. The oval crushes easily, even when you use a jack with a rubber-cushioned saddle. Mine looks awful. Starless' jackstand adapter has me thinking about making an adapter for the oval.

Nice job, Starless!
Good idea, except that it`s likely the effect of the PSI load applied against the aluminum plate that`s distorting it....the hockey puck won`t change that....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Fantastic!

I'd run and build one right away also, but I'm in Denmark right now and I don't think I've ever seen them for sale here.

I will definitely do it when I am in CT though!

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 09-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Keeping it surreal

This is a good DIY from several years back. Maybe a little more involved than some can deal with, but it will give you some food for thought.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=lumber+2x10s

Old 09-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW 330ci
What I did is, I took a piece of wood (2 by 3 or something like that) that's slightly larger than the lift part of the jack. I put it dead center on the jack's handle and lifted the car. From the weight, the "teeth" of the jack left marks in the wood that I now use to position it on the jack (hydraulic jack by the way).
It won't work for jack stands obviously, but it works great when lifting by the rear suspension bracket.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 AM
03 330i ZHP - 02 325cic

Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
Alex, your puck adaptors are a great idea. I made a set for myself before I did a lot of under-car work this weekend, and they worked great. I'm thinking of making a couple of jigs for my router table and cranking out a bunch to sell to our fellow Festers who live south of hockey country.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 AM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnzhp View Post
Alex, your puck adaptors are a great idea. I made a set for myself before I did a lot of under-car work this weekend, and they worked great. I'm thinking of making a couple of jigs for my router table and cranking out a bunch to sell to our fellow Festers who live south of hockey country.
Well, they need to be customized to the specific set of jack stands in order everything to be near perfect. That's the problem with mass production, also you do not want to be responsible for anybody using them other than you and having an accident (god forbid) And sometimes it's hard to find 3 or 4 ton stands with FLAT saddles. My 2 1/4 stands work perfectly, however I want to use at least 3 ton for any serious work under the car. I found these:

Omega HW93503, 3 Ton Jack Stands

The saddle looks pretty flat on those, but they are around $70 per pair. But that's your safety so I'd prefer "professional" grade of equipment and that always costs money

But if can make them "universal" adaptors made out of metal using your puck as a matrix, then selling could be a good idea

Last edited by Starless; 09-20-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:22 AM
03 330i ZHP - 02 325cic

Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
Good point on the customization needed for different jack stands. My 3 tonners are not as flat as those Omega's, but pretty flat. I didn't make flats on the edges of the pucks to sit inside the saddles, as the puck was only ~3/16" too large, so I roughly centered the saddles and let the pucks deform a little - worked great. I am going to do another set that is a bit neater; I kinda hacked mine out in a hurry. I definitely felt safer than when the jack pads were sitting right on the saddles.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Good point on the customization needed for different jack stands. My 3 tonners are not as flat as those Omega's, but pretty flat. I didn't make flats on the edges of the pucks to sit inside the saddles, as the puck was only ~3/16" too large, so I roughly centered the saddles and let the pucks deform a little - worked great. I am going to do another set that is a bit neater; I kinda hacked mine out in a hurry. I definitely felt safer than when the jack pads were sitting right on the saddles.
One solution (to standardize things) would be to choose a specific jack stand, such as the one pictured in Alex`s post, and machine the pucks to fit that stand, and have buyers obtain the stands from that website to match up with the pucks.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Post pictures if you can!

(I just modified the thread title. I did not know it was possible )
Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Outstanding work.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

For measurements I chose the adaptor that fits tight in the pad (if it's too tight just file the edges a little)

I measured everything in millimeters (sorry, my old russian habits) and converted to inches (still can't get used to them). Hope it's ok

Click image for larger version

Name:	dimensions 1.jpg
Views:	1642
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	247375

Name:	dimensions 2.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	247376

Name:	dimensions 3.jpg