Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-17-2009, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 523i (E39) 1999
Talking How do I disable ABS feature, keep Speedo and mpg

Hi All,

So i discovered that i've got a Bosch 5.7 abs module on my car (after buying soldering iron and magnifying glass). Turns out it looks different from Bosch 5.3 and harder (if not impossible) to DIY repair.

Like most others, recession is bitting so im not eager to buy a new/remanufactured abs module just yet. I had a brainwave, i usually disconnect the faulty abs module completely as it messes up my braking (constant abs pulsing everytime). Well i know the speedometer and mpg guage are seperate from the abs pump working but reliant on just the abs controller calculations. I want to disable/ignore ABS feature without loosing fuel sender accuracy, speedo and mpg guage.

in the attached picture, those cylindrical things contact the abs pump when fitted to the rest of the system however i noticed they are held by flimsy springy rails, is it safe to remove them or perhaps insulate the contacts from the abs pump?

Seems like a cheaper fix in that the module is screwed anyway. plus i can live without abs. Just worried ive overlooked some other implications.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01661paint.JPG
Views:	2058
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	185940  
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Those are not contacts, they are solenoids. The coils are in your hand, and the armatures are in the ABS block. They control valves.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Remove right front tire. Go inside the black box that protects the end of the right front speed sensor where its blue connector is housed. Separate (disconnect) the RF speed sensor. You will throw all three lights;brake, ABS, and DSC, but you should still have speedo and all associated systems such as cruise, MPG, Speedo, etc. Those coils are suspended by those springs for a reason. It is very important that those coils float properly over the individual solenoids. Don't mess with them. Your 5.7 is totally rebuildable, but it has to be cut open. Try ATE1234 on Ebay. Auto & Truck electronics will rebuild your module for $105. If you cut those coils, your 5.7 is worthless and it will cost you $105 just for a stealer to recode your new module. Fix it for the hundred as you will otherwise ruin resale. You can also remove the main large connector at the ABS module, but you will lose speedo, etc.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
You will throw all three lights;brake, ABS, and DSC, but you should still have speedo and all associated systems such as cruise, MPG, Speedo, etc.
This is the kind of great advice I was looking for when I opened the thread "Is there a way to MANUALLY disable the ABS to test violet shudder?"

Old 05-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Try this method, lots neater. Go to http://www.bmwtips.com/. Click "Tips & Tricks", then click #13, under "Engine, Trans & Exhaust".

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Try this method, lots neater. Go to http://www.bmwtips.com/. Click "Tips & Tricks", then click #13, under "Engine, Trans & Exhaust".
For the record, that link, in a single click, is ...
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/t...ges/DSCoff.htm

But, um ... just for the record, that tip contains instructions for having the ASC/DSC turned off when you start the car. By modifying the button. You can still turn the ASC/DSC on and off with the modified button, but the tip didn't say it does anything about ABS.

Still, it's intriguing that we can turn on/off the traction control (sans ABS) so easily.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM

bluebee,

How did you capture that URL? My IE does not display the entire link at the top.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
bluebee,

How did you capture that URL? My IE does not display the entire link at the top.
The site is built using "frames", a poor technique to obfuscate URLs and make ugly, bad code. Stop using IE (the cancer of the internet, the Beelzebub of browsers, Satan of surfing, half-assed prehistoric virus-infested piece of crap, et cetera) and switch to Firefox or another browser that isn't 5 years behind in support for web standards. Once you've done that, you'll be able to do what I've done in the attachment. (Yes, it's a Mac, get over it )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	186852  
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 05-24-2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Some say...

Mein Auto: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
(Yes, it's a Mac, get over it )
Mac FTW!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 523i (E39) 1999
cheers for the tips.

I found out one myself.. (a lot neater)

remove the abs module.

look at the newly exposed part of the abs pump still on the car, two bent finger-like contacts are visible.

wrap insulating tape around them.

(now no power goes from abs module to the pump)

screw module back on.

Now you still get speedo, cruise and mpg guage but no ABS.

(Of course abs and traction lights come on.)

Last edited by cyberplayer; 05-25-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
Try ATE1234 on Ebay. Auto & Truck electronics will rebuild your module for $105..
Heh heh ... Hi Bill ... I never thought I'd see you say that above!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 PM

I should note that I was reading this thread today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Don't hate me for asking... Delete DSC?? and ABS???

Where the OP asked how to disable ABS/DSC altogether.

That thread today referred me to this thread:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > How do I disable ABS feature, keep Speedo and mpg

So, even though it's not my shtick, I added the last link to the following in the bestlinks, so that others may benefit in the future:
- How to physically test & repair the Bosch ABS control module (1) & how to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & why you want to only buy oem wheel speed sensors (1) & how to remove and replace the four BMW E39 ABS related WSS wheel speed sensors (1) & which wss innervates the speedometer (1) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools always fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of their limitations (1) & why it's probably not the ABS hydraulic pump failing (1) & how to properly test the BPS brake pressure sensor (1) & how to properly test and replace the steering angle sensor (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) & what's this about the P0500 setting the SES (1) & why you want to wait a week before getting a smog test after removing your ABS control module (1) &, if you really want to try, how to attempt to disable the ABS/DSC but keep the speedometer and mpg cluster readouts (1)