Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-21-2013, 12:09 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
DIY How to make a Combox plug & play retrofit harness

This is how you build a harness to simply plug in your new combox module without cutting any wires on your car and without re-pinning an connectors on the car (only applicable to cars with CIC or CIC retrofits of course..). This particular guide is only for cars with TCU's ONLY, but I can help with MULF systems as well.

Here's the basics of what you need:

Combox side:
1 x 61136913644, BMW, connector, 26 pin
1 x 61136913626, BMW, socket housing, 26 pin
~15 (order 20) x 928999-6
, TE, female pins (BMW has these too, but they are like $1 a piece, easier to just buy them from onlinecomponents.com. Exact same thing
22 AWG wire

TCU side:
1 x 37758, Kufatec, 54 pin connector. socket housing is included
~15 (order 20) 1-928918-1, TE, male pins (BMW has these too,
easier to just buy them from onlinecomponents.com. Exact same thing)

Here's what it looks like in the end:

Combox end. The blue'ish green connector has the pins labeled so you can use that to figure it out

TCU end below. Notice I wrote pin #'s on connector--bottom is 37, top is 54. On the next row down (towards the floor in the pic), bottom pin is 19, top is 36. and Bottom row, bottom is 1, top is 18

And here is how it is wired:

Quote:
TCU (BLACK)-------------------Combox (BLUE GREEN)

Pin---Description--------------Pin---Description

1----Mic(pos)------------------------25----Mic(pos)
4----AUX-GND-----------------------10----AUX-GND
15---Crash Sig.----------------------7----Crash Sig.
17---30 Power+ 5A------------------2----30 Power+ 5A
18---30 Power+ 10A-----------------1----30 Power+ 10A
19---MIC(neg)-----------------------12-----MIC(neg)
21---MIC Shield----------------------11-----MIC Shield
23---Shield---------------------------22-----Shield
31---SOS sig.f Button---------------18-----SOS sig.f Button
33---Wakeup-------------------------15-----Wakeup
36---31 GROUND(neg)--------------14----31 GROUND(neg)
37---emerg. Speak.(pos)------------21----emerg. Speak.(pos)
38---emerg. Speak.(neg)------------20----emerg. Speak.(neg)
50---emerg. butt LED----------------17----emerg. butt LED
54---GROUND-
That's it. The only elusive part is the black connector from kufatec. It takes a full 4 weeks to get them in.. so I ordered 3

I'll post more detail on how to crimp the wires, etc. when I have more time

Last edited by schpenxel; 09-21-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-21-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: E60
nice DYI! thanks for sharing! Can you share part number for MULF Kufatec male connector?
Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbond View Post
nice DYI! thanks for sharing! Can you share part number for MULF Kufatec male connector?
It is the same as the TCU part number--the difference between the two options are mainly in the wiring as some things come from the MULF then instead of TCU from what I've read

You'd just need to order two of the Kufatec connectors

Last edited by schpenxel; 09-21-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi
Nice! So plug n play and bam, you have internet, video playback, web apps, Bluetooth audio, and album art? What did it all parts cost you? I think it's ridiculous that Bimmertech wants $1000+ for Combox/6NR when it's essentially, a few software upgrades. I would love to add this mod but not at that price.
Mods: OEM MTech Kit | MTech V3 AE | RDash License Plate Lights | Interior LED lights | 6000k HIDs | Coded | 20% Tint | DWS Continental Non-Run Flats | SAT Retrofit | Gloss Black Vinyl Roof | Jehnert Flatline XE200 Speaker & JL Audio XD/600 Amp | Custom Amber Ambient LED Interior | Custom Magnaflow Dual Single Exhaust
Old 09-21-2013, 06:49 PM
DIY'er

Have to do some coding too.. and some other wiring for the USB cables, ports, bluetooth antenna, etc.

Def. more to it than just this harness, but this is a big part of it. The kufatec connector is the problem most people have when trying to do this as BMW doesn't sell that connector (AFAIK anyways)

I'll take some pics when I install mine and explain the rest once I figure it all out

Parts are fairly cheap. The Combox end is about $14 for the connectors + a few bucks for the wiring pins. TCU end is $12 something for the connector + another few bucks for the pins

Def. less than $50 total

Last edited by schpenxel; 09-21-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 AM
V-8 Driver

Mein Auto: 2007 650i 6MT
Guys,

I saw this illustration from the magnum opus 50pp post elsewhere and I thought it would help get us focused on how to wire up the 6FL/6NF in our cars when we want the functionality but do not want the expense and loss of console storage space when using baseplate/cradle.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....ght=6FL+combox

Looks like we buy some selected BMW parts (the switchable USB/AUX for the inside of the console seems a must) and go boldly into our harnesses with a soldering gun and small pins...where others have boldly gone...

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 PM
V-8 Driver

I put details in another thread, but I reckon going with as much OEM stuff as we can, the extra cables and jacks add a couple hundred to the tab - beyond a combox - and well worth it. With good parts pricing, getBMWparts could ship you a combox telematics and all this stuff for a bit $600. The coding will be fun but some good threads from 2011 show the evolution of collective knowledge in how to make this retrofit easier than before. So far II have not had to decode base 64 data into a format for FSC's - and I don't want to start! (Yes, some of these mods require a solid foundation in computers and languages. Thanks to the early (and very smart) adopters who got this to the point where I want to try it. Worst case, I contact Vlad again at Bimmer Retrofit and pay $250 for remote coding...

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 525i
*Moving to CIC Retrofit thread where I think it belongs....

Last edited by whdigital; 10-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcwardog View Post
I put details in another thread, but I reckon going with as much OEM stuff as we can, the extra cables and jacks add a couple hundred to the tab - beyond a combox - and well worth it. With good parts pricing, getBMWparts could ship you a combox telematics and all this stuff for a bit $600. The coding will be fun but some good threads from 2011 show the evolution of collective knowledge in how to make this retrofit easier than before. So far II have not had to decode base 64 data into a format for FSC's - and I don't want to start! (Yes, some of these mods require a solid foundation in computers and languages. Thanks to the early (and very smart) adopters who got this to the point where I want to try it. Worst case, I contact Vlad again at Bimmer Retrofit and pay $250 for remote coding...
Just get combox media from getbmwparts.com it's $290+ shipping and since you cannot use any of the telematics functions you might as well save a $110. It's part #84109257160

-Vadim
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
This is how you build a harness to simply plug in your new combox module without cutting any wires on your car and without re-pinning an connectors on the car (only applicable to cars with CIC or CIC retrofits of course..). This particular guide is only for cars with TCU's ONLY, but I can help with MULF systems as well.

Here's the basics of what you need:

Combox side:
1 x 61136913644, BMW, connector, 26 pin
1 x 61136913626, BMW, socket housing, 26 pin
~15 (order 20) x 928999-6
, TE, female pins (BMW has these too, but they are like $1 a piece, easier to just buy them from onlinecomponents.com. Exact same thing
22 AWG wire

TCU side:
1 x 37758, Kufatec, 54 pin connector. socket housing is included
~15 (order 20) 1-928918-1, TE, male pins (BMW has these too,
easier to just buy them from onlinecomponents.com. Exact same thing)

Here's what it looks like in the end:

Combox end. The blue'ish green connector has the pins labeled so you can use that to figure it out

TCU end below. Notice I wrote pin #'s on connector--bottom is 37, top is 54. On the next row down (towards the floor in the pic), bottom pin is 19, top is 36. and Bottom row, bottom is 1, top is 18

And here is how it is wired:

That's it. The only elusive part is the black connector from kufatec. It takes a full 4 weeks to get them in.. so I ordered 3

I'll post more detail on how to crimp the wires, etc. when I have more time

Thanks!! This is great!! Will this work on my CCC car with the new Nav System?? Also if you have connected your Iphone with IoS 7 to this system will the Calendar also synch with the car?? The reason why I as is I am in Sales and I drive quite a bit and want to be able to uzi my calender to click on the address rather than type it in every time. So I am keen on getting the Combox.. if I can get that to work. Right now I use BMW assist but that contract is coming to be over soon and I dont want to renew it at $199 per month. I rather add something to my car to achieve the same objective. I think I can search the forums and get all the P/N of the h/w I need and then probably put together the cable tooa nd make all the connections.. I will need help with programming etc... One shop I called and they said that I have the latest version of iDrive software so I would need a FSC code to connect the Combox so the total cost would be about $1500. I am in Bay Area San Jose in CA. So if someone out there can help me.. I am willing to attempt this... Do let me know if I can get coding help in Bay area.. I am willing to pay but if someone really knows this stuff.. Thanks
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Old 10-10-2013, 01:41 PM
DIY'er

I certainly wouldn't be going back to that shop.. there is no way to add combox to the CCC system. Are you sure yours IS a CCC version and not CIC? I thought in 2010 they had switched to CIC only. How many CD/DVD slots does your car have?

It can only be done to CIC and you're going to be paying more than $1500 when it's all over (if you have to completely retrofit from CCC to CIC).

Now if you already have a CIC system, $1500 is a ripoff for the combox in my opinion. Even vendors on here only charge I believe $600 for a full kit and the coding. FSC codes aren't a problem so not sure what they are talking about there. Your CIC does need to at least be on V41, but that has nothing to do with a FSC code

I do not think an iphone will sync the calendar, messaging, etc. to a combox. I know on some of the beta versions of either ios 6 or 7 all that supposedly worked, but it doesn't (last I read anyways) actually work on the official release. There is some protocol that Apple doesn't tend to support so you're probably out of luck there, at least for the time being

Sorry--not much you can do without completely upgrading to a CIC system, and it sounds like even then it wouldn't do what you want in terms of calendars

Last edited by schpenxel; 10-10-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
I certainly wouldn't be going back to that shop.. there is no way to add combox to the CCC system. Are you sure yours IS a CCC version and not CIC? I thought in 2010 they had switched to CIC only. How many CD/DVD slots does your car have?

It can only be done to CIC and you're going to be paying more than $1500 when it's all over (if you have to completely retrofit from CCC to CIC).

Now if you already have a CIC system, $1500 is a ripoff for the combox in my opinion. Even vendors on here only charge I believe $600 for a full kit and the coding. FSC codes aren't a problem so not sure what they are talking about there. Your CIC does need to at least be on V41, but that has nothing to do with a FSC code

I do not think an iphone will sync the calendar, messaging, etc. to a combox. I know on some of the beta versions of either ios 6 or 7 all that supposedly worked, but it doesn't (last I read anyways) actually work on the official release. There is some protocol that Apple doesn't tend to support so you're probably out of luck there, at least for the time being

Sorry--not much you can do without completely upgrading to a CIC system, and it sounds like even then it wouldn't do what you want in terms of calendars

My mistake.. mine is the CIC System.. it is a 2010 car.. so all I need is the Combox.
But I am sad ;( as it would not do what I wanted it to do.. I guess the next is to try (with my accent) to convince my car nav to take me there by speaking into it... I think it is a long shot. I dont need the Combox if it cannot do it. But would like to see if I can get it done for $600 then I dont mind it.. it will be good to have. ANYONE IN BAY AREA?? Nor Cal do this??
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Old 10-11-2013, 07:35 AM
V-8 Driver

"Back Porch" Package

Look what arrived yesterday! This is a Gen1 combox, 9248181, and it is a BN2000, Version: US. Looks like it was built 09/10/2010. Model #BE-B035, HW# 004.030.002, SW: 002.005.025. What version would that be? 30?, 25? Obviously, once connected I will read out the particulars, but curious as to the "no earlier than" s/w level.

The interesting thing is that it was marketed as a "combox media" off of a 2011 E-Car, but it clearly has the jack for connecting the two telematics antennae. That, the black 26-pin socket, and the part # lookup on RealOEM before buying make me believe that I got a solid deal on a combox telematics suitable for use in my E63. Am I right?

If so, this is fine, even if I code the $639 BMW Assist off the VO so I can get BMW Live (it's either/or), yes?

Are these units the same inside, i.e this one has same circuits, etc, as a current #9247163? If so, it probably would need just a firmware update to function fully?

All my small parts are on the way from getBMWparts, so I will get rolling in a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	401552  

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 10-21-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:44 AM
DIY'er

You def. got a telematics version.. that much I am sure of

Quote:
*******>********>
01Combox for Telematics
10/201084109248181
ENDED
Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Look what arrived yesterday! This is a Gen1 combox, 9248181, and it is a BN2000, Version: US. Looks like it was built 09/10/2010. Model #BE-B035, HW# 004.030.002, SW: 002.005.025. What version would that be? 30?, 25? Obviously, once connected I will read out the particulars, but curious as to the "no earlier than" s/w level.

The interesting thing is that it was marketed as a "combox media" off of a 2011 E-Car, but it clearly has the jack for connecting the two telematics antennae. That, the black 26-pin socket, and the part # lookup on RealOEM before buying make me believe that I got a solid deal on a combox telematics suitable for use in my E63. Am I right?

If so, this is fine, even if I code the $612 BMW Assist off the VO so I can get BMW Live (it's either/or), yes?

Are these units the same inside, i.e this one has same circuits, etc, as a current #9247163? If so, it probably would need just a firmware update to function fully?

All my small parts are on the way from getBMWparts, so I will get rolling in a few days.
So you are the guy that got it for $290 on ebay . Good luck. I recently picked up 84109257164 which is the latest Gen3 combox with GPS connector (this was installed in cars that shipped with combox but without CIC, the GPS is used for BMW Assist). I paid $220 and after I realized I could have just bought brand new combox media from the dealer for $290, the telematics one that I got goes for around $400 from the dealer so I guess it was a decent deal but since you cannot use the telematics functionality, who cares?. I'm not ready to install mine yet, still waiting on a few parts, one being those Kufatec connectors. I have a 2010 E61 with 6FL, so I have TCU and MULF-HI, I also believe I have the stupid USB hub somewhere under the seat, I'll need to trace that and see if it will work with it or will I need to get rid of it.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 AM
DIY'er

Good luck on those Kufatec connectors... mine took 4 or 5 weeks to finally get here. It looks like they (slow ship) a bulk shipment over from either the UK or Germany every so often, then they have to ship it to you from wherever in the US
Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 AM
V-8 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimr View Post
So you are the guy that got it for $290 on ebay . Good luck. I recently picked up 84109257164 which is the latest Gen3 combox with GPS connector (this was installed in cars that shipped with combox but without CIC, the GPS is used for BMW Assist. ... 'm not ready to install mine yet, still waiting on a few parts, one being those Kufatec connectors. I have a 2010 E61 with 6FL, so I have TCU and MULF-HI, I also believe I have the stupid USB hub somewhere under the seat, I'll need to trace that and see if it will work with it or will I need to get rid of it.
I was all set to just pay for a new one, but was not sure about software inside, etc... after my CIC fun, so I went with one that was known to work when pulled from a car. Better that and need a flash update, than what I faced with my refurb CIC. I will connect the two Assist antennae and then code it all out, crazy, I know...

So, do you think the combox telematics GPS will do everything that the media version does? Just ignore the gps antenna jack, etc...?

For your USB hub under a seat, I think you just ignore its existence (I think I read that on at least one thread...) and run a new cable between combox and the USB/Aux plug. You already have one of these, but be sure it is selectable, check the part #. This relates to switching the aux signal path based on what is plugged in and where, I think, and is important if you intend to try to get all the functionality of a 6NF cradle install - without the cradle, like I plan to do.

djcwardog

Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
I was all set to just pay for a new one, but was not sure about software inside, etc... after my CIC fun, so I went with one that was known to work when pulled from a car. Better that and need a flash update, than what I faced with my refurb CIC. I will connect the two Assist antennae and then code it all out, crazy, I know...

So, do you think the combox telematics GPS will do everything that the media version does? Just ignore the gps antenna jack, etc...?

For your USB hub under a seat, I think you just ignore its existence (I think I read that on at least one thread...) and run a new cable between combox and the USB/Aux plug. You already have one of these, but be sure it is selectable, check the part #. This relates to switching the aux signal path based on what is plugged in and where, I think, and is important if you intend to try to get all the functionality of a 6NF cradle install - without the cradle, like I plan to do.
Got your harness ready to go finally--you should have it Tuesday
Old 10-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Regarding combox, yea you just code out the telematics and GPS functionality and use the rest of it.

E60 never shipped with selectable plug, I realized that a little earlier, I'm not sure what to do about that. I'm not even sure how the AUX input works with that one. Do you know how the AUX in is wired in? I have 6FL there with USB and AUX and as far as I know the USB is wired into MULF-HI through the USB hub and the AUX in goes into the TCU. If I ran a new cable for USB, I assume I would still re-use the cable for AUX input and patch that into the combox. Regarding the hub, I read something different, that guy Patryk told someone to do:
"You need to find this hub and move the cable with the white connector to the BLUE port (you will need to trim the cable connector slightly)." Thus I think you can re-use existing wiring. The question is how and what modifications are really required. I think the switchable aux input is for the video. I'm still not really sure about these minor details, if you have an idea, share it I'm still about a month away from combox installation but a couple days away from CIC.

Regarding those Kufatec plugs, yea it will take forever, however I ordered 4 and will use 2 for my harness and either make another double one anyone that wants one or 2 single ones. We shall see.

-Vadim
Old 10-11-2013, 04:45 PM
V-8 Driver

6NF on the cheap - no cradle

Vadmir,

My goal is to do it like this. If you go this way, then the USB hub is irrelevant, so the schematic shows. On the other hand, if you seek to use the 6FL (only) with no desire to go beyond it to 6NF, then you probably do have to find the USB hub. Isn't it under driver's seat? If you run DIS you should be able to have it step you through how to replace that hub...(after you fib and answer all the damn questions in a row that each thing it said to do didn't work, ultimately leading DIS to take you there!)

These two views are from other posts and not my work - but they are my template! Find the 50pp magnum opus CIC/Combox thread for much more. Note the part number for TWO diferent USB sockts. One is a single (run a USB cable with black jack to black jack on combox) and just like the one you got for the CIC to do map updates. The other is the selectable USB/Aux and this will make it possible to have 6NF features without that space-hogging cradle. You run the USB cable from it to the BLUE jack on your combox. Hell, that's just $40 more so why not? I will post the second schematic view just below...

Upon further reflection: if the USB Hub is also what they call the "MULF", then you do need to find it so you can take it out of the MOST loop and unplug it. You have to remove both the TCU and MULF in order to run a combox. My car has just the TCU so apologies if I confused anyone.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	1129
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	401622  

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 10-15-2013 at 05:40 AM. Reason: USB Hub or MULF?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:47 PM
V-8 Driver

Second view - Schematic

This one shows part numbers. I will lay this out (literally) on my kitchen table next week when I get all the parts. Photos to follow! Note - the 9189175 part number is correct for the selectable USB/Aux that you need. They made a typo by having it listed also for the single USB plug, again, that runs to the black jack on combox
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	1198
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	401623  

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 10-11-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:51 PM
V-8 Driver

small parts laid out

Here is a partial layout of the combox/6NF (without need for a baseplate or cradle) system as placed upon my kitchen table. The other side (not shown) of the combox accepts the 26-pin PnP cable (inbound...) and the MOST connection.

Details for the two cables:

1) white connectors at each end - go from black jack on combox to back of your Selectable USB/Aux In port. Which end gets the noise filter or whatever that 3" bulge is in the cabling?
2) blue ends - go from blue jack on combox to white plug on the back of the single USB port. For that end, I shaved two locating bosses off of the blue jack. One at ~2 o'clock, the other at ~7 o'clock where 12 o'clock is the snap connector - looking into the connector.

For me - two questions are now answered (see the photo):

1) the back of the video port accepts a 6-pin connector. Get part #6909058.

2) the back of the Aux-In part of the selectable USB/Aux-In Port accepts a different style of 6-pin connector wherein the pins are disposed in two rows of 3 pin each. Get part #6954554.

Other part #'s confirmed:

Video (R/W/Y RCA jacks) is #6930560.
Selectable USB/Aux-In Port is #9237654.
Single USB Port is #9237656.
USB Cable with white connectors is #9137935.
USB Cable with blue connectors is #9202749.

I got a bunch of small metal jacks and pins to make up or replace anything that may come up. For example, the "FBAS Lead" is on national back order but no worries. Now that I see the exact connectors used at both ends where this is supposed to hook in, I can fabricate one myself with shielded cable. When I see "shielded" on the pin outs I still wonder what (if anything) is done with the actual wire mesh shielding. Is it soldered into a pin and turned into the ground lead? Of course, I will figure that out before energizing any of the system!

More to follow once I get my PnP harness and mock that part up as well. Then it will be time to get this gear into the car!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	897
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	402099  

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 10-15-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Here is what part of the combox system looks like laid out on my kitchen table. The other side (not shown) of the combox accepts the 26-pin PnP cable (inbound...) and the MOST connection.

The two cables: white connectors at each end - go from black jack on combox to back of your Selectable USB/Aux In port; blue ends - go from blue jack on combox to white pllug on the back of the single USB port. For that end, I shaved two locating bosses of the blue jack - one at ~2 o'clock, the other at ~7 o'clock where 12 o'clock is the snap connector - looking into the connector.

For me - two questions are now answered (see the photo):

1) the back of the video port accepts a 6-pin connector #6909058.

2) the back of the Aux-In part of the selectable USB/Aux-In Port accepts a different style of 6-pin conetor wherein the pins are disposed in two rows of 3 pin each, part #6954554.

Other part #'s confirmed:

Video (R/W/Y RCA jacks) is #6930560.
Selectable USB/Aux-In Port is #9237654.
Single USB Port is #9237656.
USB Cable with white connectors is #9137935.
USB Cable with blue connectors is #9202749.

I got a bunch of small metal jacks and pins to make up or replace anything that may come up. For example, the "FBAS Lead" is on national bak order but who cares? Now that I see the exact connectors used at each end of it, I can fabricate one myself with shielded cable.

More to follow once I get my PnP harness and mock that part up as well. Then it will be time to get this gear into the car!
I dropped the PnP harness off this morning at a FedEx drop box, so you should see it Wednesday if all goes how it should..

Great info! It's so tough to tell when using ECS or whatever supplier exactly what each part looks like--sometimes they use something close but the pins are slightly different, etc. This will make it much easier for me to do mine without guessing what parts will fit where

Could you post the full part numbers with 6112 or whatever at the beginning?

Where are you planning on putting the RCA/video in jack? Rear of the center console?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM
V-8 Driver

Bigger Shot

Here is a photo where it is all laid out. I plan to lay out what I need to fabricate the FBAS Lead to include which exact part number of BMW wiring was used. Looks like 6 wires in all:

1) three wires to the aux-in 6-wire connector - pins 2, 5 and 6. The 3 wires from pins 1, 2 and 4 run back to the combox 26-pin connector, grd at pin 10, L at pin 23, R at pin 24.

2) the other three wires go to the 12-pin connector "B" of the Quad-Lock connector into the CIC. I think it is laid out in the second schematic I copied over recently. For pin outs into "B" I think it depends on how many other video inputs are already there - up to three are allowed. A coding update is required, obviously.

Provided below are the full part numbers. These include the 4-digit prefixes on what I listed above. All except for the 6-pin connector into video port were shown in the schematic already, but a few part #s have changed since that was made. For the 6-pin into the video port, I guessed and ordered both of the 6-pin connectors they offer - only this one fit. I got my part numbers by using RealOEM and getBMWParts.com as I entered each part number from the schematic. This identified which ones had "ended" with a new part #. Check me out and look these up before you place an order. I have not installed anything yet, so I could have received some wrong parts. However, I think I am set.

Video (R/W/Y RCA jacks) is #61316930560. (A 6er has no rear console area - runs flush into the leather surface of the rear seat divider. Therefore I plan to install all three of these ports inside the console. I would probably do that even in a 5er.)
6-pin connector into back of video port is #61136909058.
Selectable USB/Aux-In Port is #884109237654 (new #)
6-pin connector into the Aux-In plug on the back of the selectable USB/Aux-In Port is #61136954554.
Single USB Port is #84109237656. (please confirm, but this looks like the same part as used in the glovebox for uploading maps and music into the HD of the CIC only)
USB Cable with white connectors is #61119137935 (the label says "connection wire for USB/Hub")
USB Cable with blue connectors is #61119202749 (label reads same as above)

Pondering this one now: If I am installing a video-in source that the car will recognize, how much harder to rig (and code) a reversing camera (non-OEM) so its signal overrides whatever is on the main screen - triggered by the CAN bus whenever you shift into reverse? Everyone turns off the reversing gong feature (not required on US cars), but that may be a source of coding inquiry...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	1078
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	402100  

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 10-15-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: details added
Old 10-15-2013, 09:33 AM
V-8 Driver

Video Port Details

OK sports fans, I dismantled my video box to confirm where the 6 pins go. As I suspected there is one for the outer barrel (typically for -), and another for the signal lead inside (+). For this little box, pins 1, 3 and 5 are (+) for R, L and V, respectively. Pins 2, 4 and 6 are the corresponding (-). So, to hook it up: send pins 5 and 6 to CIC "B", pins 2 and 4 spliced together to USB/Aux 6-pin connector, pin 6. R+ to pin 5, L+ to pin 2.

You now have sent 2 of the 6 pins to the CIC "B" and sent the other 4 (into 3 pins) to the USB/Aux. Here's the scoop for the other 3 pins that leave the USB/Aux. They go to your 26-pin harness that plugs into your combox. Pin 1 is Aux Out L+ and it goes to combox pin 23. Similarly, pin 3 is the summed Aux Out L/R (-) and it goes to combox pin 10. Lastly, pin 4 is Aux Out R+ and it goes to combox pin 24. I see also that combox pin 22 is for the shield, so that may require me to expose some of the braided shielding on all the output pins (1, 3 and 4) and solder a pin/wire (cable) to connect the shielding to combox pin 22. Anyone done this and can confirm before I really hook ("sum") the two negatives together coming in and thereby going out of the USB/Aux port?

OK, now for some slightly confusing stuff: CIC plug "B" unsnaps from the back of the quad connector that goes into the CIC. Mine already has 3 wires in it which correspond to pins 2, 12 and 11 for "FBAS 1". I believe I will need to connect up a new "FBAS 2": Video pin 5 (V+) to "B" 3, video pin 6 (V-) to "B" 10, and as I suggest above, create a cable by soldering some of the metal mesh shielding from both of these and connect that to "B" 9. As I wrote on the sketch with parts (see photos) if you have nothing in "B", then FBAS 1 for you is 2, 12 and 11. If you already have 6 pins occupied in "B", then you will do an FBAS 3 with pins 5, 8 and 7. Clear as mud?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	825
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	402292  

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 10-16-2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: photo