BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Air bag light on

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mudtub 
#1 ·
Hello and thanks for the help to come. New to the whole world of BMW. I have a 540IT 1999 with about 118,000 in her and she blinked the air bag light yesterday and is staying on. I have a range rover and the same thing was going on all I had to do was clean a connector. Is the same for this thanks again Bill

#2 · (Edited)
How did you identify the connector to be cleaned?

When my SRS light went on, I bought the Peake SRS tool to troubleshoot it. You'll save the cost of the tool the first time you use it, by not having to take it to the dealer for diagnosis, repair, and reset.

BTW, the system won't function when the light is on. Good incentive to get it fixed pronto.

#3 ·
Thanks. Where can I source the abs tool. In my range there are yellow wires under the seat and all I had to do was undo the plug and make sure that it was put back correct. As my thoughts are the same for this as I had to remove the door panel to reset he drivers window. When I was in there I un plugged the air bag know about 300 miles of frost heaved roads later it flashed and 50 miles after it goes on when you put it in gear. Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks. Where can I source the abs tool.
These may help:

- What is the cheapest usable BMW E39 airbag srs reset/scan tool on the net (1) & what can cause a BMW E39 SRS airbag light (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & what tools reset the fault (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what happens when clueless mechanics disconnect the airbag before the battery or they connect the battery before disconnecting the airbag in seat and window regulator repairs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & where to buy an airbag occupancy sensor bypass unit (1) (2).

#6 ·
I too have the airbag light on. Car is an 03 540. I was told that the airbags will function, but all bags will fire in the event of a crash, with a front seat passenger or not.

My issue was diagnosed by the dealer as being a front seat sensor failure. I was quoted 900 to fix the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.