Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 11-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
DIY:1997 528i Fuel Pump Replacement(E39)

Changing Your Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: The procedure below is to be done at your own risk. I have changed my fuel pump using these procedures with positive results, but may not work for you. The instructions below were performed on a 1997 528i. Other years and models may differ, but I do not know for a fact. I will not be held accountable for any mishaps or accidents. Again, please perform these procedures at your own risk.

Make sure that this is the problem. Your fuel pump would most likely be the culprit if one of the following has been checked:

A. Check for spark (do the spark plug wire test)
B. Make sure battery is good (check voltage)
C. Check the Crank Angle Sensor (most common problem)
D. Make sure starter isnt dead (the usually diagnosis, if you can bump start your MANUAL car, your starter is bad. If you hit the starter with a blunt object and your car finally starts,then your starter is bad.) If your car dies out while you are driving, then your starter is NOT bad.
E. Check your fuses (Fuel pump fuse mainly)
F. Check your fuel pump relay (for a quick check, have a friend put his finger on the fuel pump relay located in the fuse box above the battery. I think it is the 2nd one down if you are starting from the front relay towards the front of the vehicle. With the key in the off position, have your friend touch the relay housing on the top, and turn the key to ACC position. There should be a light click. If not then, guess what. Your relay may have taken a dump.)
G. Make sure your fuel filter is not clogged (change it since it is a cheap fix anyway.)
H. Make sure your car is in Park.
I. Make sure you have gas.

1. First of all, you may want to disconnect your battery. This will prevent any un-wanted problems (I did not actually disconnect battery, I just removed the fuel pump fuse. But I was just being lazy).
2. Remove rear bottom seat by pulling straight up. It may feel impossible to remove, but you will have to use some brut strength in order to pop them off the seat off its holder.
3. Locate the location of the fuel pump on top of the “rear” seat on passenger side. It looks like a round black padded cushion with wires going into it. Lift the padded cushion. You will have to disconnect the wires and the hose going into the top of the location of where the fuel pump is.
4. The top part is being held by a large round screw type ring. You will have to remove that ring. I used a flat head screw driver and a hammer to remove it. Place the screw driver on one of the ridges and hit the large ring counter clockwise to loosen.
5. Once loosened and removed, be sure to carfully lift the plate off. The fuel leveler is located right under that plate and if you pull it out with too much force, you can snap it. Again, this is not that difficult and I may be scaring you a little. But, I just want you to be careful. Lift the plate straight up. Y ou will need to cut the zip ties off the hose going to the pump(your new OEM pump should come with this) and ONE metal clamp that is attached to the pump (your new OEM pump should have ONE new clamp). There are 2 metal clamps on that hose. One on the hose that is attached to the pump and one that is attached to the plate. Cut the ONE clamp,that is attached to the plate, off. (If you are wondering what the clamp looks like, go to your power steering resorvoir and look beneath it. That is exactly how they look. That’s only if you have an OEM clamp on your car.)
6. Reach in with your hand and locate the 2 LARGE plastic clamps that are holding the fuel pump (If your tank is full of gas, get ready to get your hands “wet”. My suggestion is NOT to use gloves, just use bare hands. Rubber gloves will tear). The large plastic clamps are located on the side of the fuel pump and when you squeeze them, the pump will lift out. I would recommend you to view your “NEW” pump because the plastic clamps on their (on OEM bmw pumps that is).
7. When you lift up the fuel pump, there are 2 wires at the top. Remember which wires are which (i.e. brown is negative…etc). Remove the female plug wires. Cut the last of the zip ties off the fuel hose.
8. Replace the fuel pump in reverse order with all necessary zip ties and the one metal clamp. Replace the fuel pump in its “home”. Make sure to feel that the little “nubby” hits the little hole down in the “home”. If you look straight down into the home of the fuel pump, you will notice a hole about the size of a penny. Look at your new fuel pump and you will see which way your fuel pump should go.
9. Replace the ring gasket include with your new OEM fuel pump.
10. Replace everything in reverse order.

That’s it! Once you replace the battery connection (or the fuel pump fuse, which is what I did), then your car should start right up!

To prevent your fuel pump from pre-mature failure, please do not run your car with fuel light on! Trust me, it happened to me.

Thanks for reading and good luck!
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
where is the fuel pump relay 528i

help!!!! This is my last attempt to fix this car. I need to locate where the fuel pump relay switch is (part# 61368373700). I've replaced my fuel pump, camshaft position sensor, battery, fuel filter with no luck. Will not turnover. No start. I think, i've exhausted my battery now since it is with clicking sound only. I bought a fuel pump relay but can't find where it is located.

Thanks

Sandman
Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Have you tried hitting your starter with a hammer
Old 07-10-2011, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
The fuel pump relay is located in the fuse box above the battery. I think it is the 2nd one down if you are starting from the front relay towards the front of the vehicle. Info taken from above s awesome detailed instructions for r & r on a fuel pump.

From : generaljoe67@verizon.net who owns a 1997 528i / re dyed entire interior to oem color due to fading and worn look / factory M5 18 inch rims powder coated satin black / re paint of entire exterior to matched oem artic silver , due to a gazillion hood paint chips / door dings / all stock except cool air intake. SO FUN TO DRIVE AND HANDLES NICE
Old 10-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I came here since the bestlinks lists these threads for testing & replacing a BMW E39 fuel pump & fuel filter and I'm searching for help myself so I just wish to add some references for others ... and to clarify an answer ...

Adding references:
- Testing (1) and replacing the fuel pump (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & your available fuelpump options (1) & a DIY for replacing the fuel filter (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to service & replace the fuel injectors (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanspeedster View Post
The fuel pump relay is located in the fuse box above the battery.
For reference, K96, the fuel pump relay, is either in the glovebox or in the battery compartment, depending on your model year E39:
- Identification & location of the fuel pump relay K96 (1)

Old 02-26-2014, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 4Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
For reference, K96, the fuel pump relay, is either in the glovebox or in the battery compartment, depending on your model year E39:
- Identification & location of the fuel pump relay K96 (1)

On my 1998 BMW E39 528i 4 door sedan, my fuel pump relay is where the black relay should be or in the same location as the posted 2001 Wagon relay box. My fuel pump is definitely dead, even with the unit out of the tank, and jumping the relay so I know I have power, the pump does nothing, and I hear nothing. Hopefully that is all that failed.

Last edited by josemedeiros007; 02-26-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi; 1998-528i
Wrong thread. sorry.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:06 PM

For the record, this question was resolved today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Planning to replace e39 fuel pump but stuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminXX View Post
I am planning to replace my e39 fuel pump, I followed up the Bentley instruction to take the seat, threaded collar, harness and tube out. However, I was unable to remove the last piece to take the fule pump and leveler out. Anyone has replaced it?

Thanks,

See also:
- How does the E39 fuel injection FI system work (1) & the location of the K96 FPR fuel pump relay (1) & the location of the fuel system pressure test Schrader valve for the I6 (1) and V8 (1) (2) (3) & a quick test for fuel pump operation (1) (2) & what are the most often recommended fuel pump & fuel filter brands (1) (2) & a DIY for replacing the fuel filter (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & a DIY for replacing the fuel pump (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to service your BMW E39 fuel injectors (1) & how to replace the 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injector o-rings (1) & cleaning the fuel gauge sensor (1) (2) & replacing the fuel sensor (1) & resolving blown fuses due to a stuck fuel filler door solenoid (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
hi everyone anybody in the Hartford Connecticut area it wants to help me I will pay you my truck has been at this garage for 2 months and we thought it was the accelerator position sensor changed it.Then he said that it was the throttle position sensor changed it. Now the guy told me its the fuel pump what's it gonna be I'm taking my truck back today and bring it home and I need help.it's an 02 x5.the only problem I was having with my truck is when I would press on the gas pedal there wasn't enough gas going through and the pedal with just hit the floor. My truck wouldnt start.Replaced battery now it starts and then it dies right out.I'm not buying another part. I even had to program the keys to my truck because the battery was disconnected it took me two seconds to learn how to do that this guys had it for 2 months and still d****** me around.I live in East Hartford anybody around here to help
Old 06-27-2014, 07:13 AM

Do I have to program every new part that I replace on my 02 x5?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 AM

I also have a couple cars for sale if somebody is willing to help me and needs a car I can knock the price down for you. Or can go to the auction cuz I know a dealer you could get a car for a lot cheaper than you would at a dealership.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM

I myself am no mechanic or care to be, I consider myself the frugal BMW gourmet, just trying to keep my 1998 E39 going another 100,000 miles. If you want to fix it your self, buy a Peake Research code reader, http://www.peakeresearch.com/ so you can see what code it's giving you. A bad camshaft / crankshaft position sensor could also cause the same problem. Is the Check Engine light on? Has the mechanic tested the fuel pressure at the injectors to make sure that the fuel pump is working properly?
This Diagnostic guide may help!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=500419

http://blog.bavauto.com/3562/no-start-1989-325i-e30/

Jose F. Medeiros
The unemployed IT Guy!
408-256-0649
San Jose, Cal, 95133
Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 PM

For the record, this thread was opened today...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Fuel Pump Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bem-ster View Post
2001 525i

Look at the 2 photos. The assembly came out according to the best links (first photo), however the pump separated for some unknown reason and remains in the tank (second photo)! The PUMP will not release from the tank and I do not want to force it and damage it. It acts as if it's attached to something else in the tank. Does anybody know how to get the pump out of the tank? What am I missing? Desperate and stuck on the side of the road.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 07-16-2014, 04:50 PM

Take a look at this FCP Euro E39 Fuel Pump DIY video, it was very helpful in replacing my own E39 Fuel Pump. At about 4.20 minutes is the section in the video which shows you how to press the two tangs holding the fuel pump in the tank, and it will pop right out once they are depressed.

This second video also is helpful.

Last edited by josemedeiros007; 07-16-2014 at 04:52 PM.